Corsair Community

Bad 1G (2 x 512M) Corsair PC3200 400MHz Module

Guest Stephen Nobis

Guest Stephen Nobis

Dear RAM Guy,

What a nighmare! I bought this module from Outpost.com back in June of 2005. I've built about 50 machines in my short stint and I have never had a bad memory module. This one has been very difficult to pinpoint. It turns out that the problem manifests itself in the inability to resolve "some" but "not all" DNS names in IE (i.e. page cannot be displayed). This problem started as I began building my first Athlon64 system with the MSI K8TNeo-FSR motherboard. The system began to hang while I attempted to download some WinXP patches from Microsoft and I could not reach their website site. I swapped out processors, hard drives, network card with no luck. I removed one of the 2 512M corsair modules and it still hung. I even swapped them with no luck. I finally tried a Kingston PC3200 module and the system has been running for 1 month like a charm since. I then tried the modules on a MSI KT4V-L motherboard system (PC2700) and the DNS resolution problem appeared on this system as well (i.e. the problem followed the memory modules). Lastly, I tried the modules on a MSI K7T266 Pro Motherboard (PC2100) and while that systems surfs pages slower than original memory modules, the DNS resolution problem does not occur. Definitely a bad memroy module. How do I return these units for some function units?

Guest Stephen Nobis

Both 512M modules are labeled VS512MB400. Here are the mother board default setting which I have not modified:

CPU FSB CLock 200MHz

DDR Voltage (V): Auto

CPU Core (V): Auto

Mem Clock Mode: Auto

Mem Clock Value: DDR200

Bank Interleaving: Auto

Burst Length: 8 beat

CAL Letency (CL): Auto

TRCD: Auto

TRAS: Auto

TRB: Auto

• Corsair Employees
Please try setting the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts and if that does not solve the problem, lets get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Guest Stephen Nobis

Dear Ram Guy,

No luck with changing the Voltage to 2.7V. I still have problems resolving the DNS names. I have requested and RMA. Thanks for the assistance.

Archived