Corsair Community

Cm74sd2048rlp-2700

webmercs

I have 8 x 2GB CM74SD2048RLP-2700 that I have tried in four different servers. Tyan S2882, S2882-D, S2891 (2 different ones). I use Windows 2003 x64, and it gives Machine Check Error every once in a while, and will eventually give a BSOD and restart. I have tried them in most combinations, from single to all 8. I am sure I bought these after checking they were compatible, but on Tyan site I cannot find this particular model as recommended right now. However, http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/mini/memorysearch.aspx?modelid=901 shows it being compatible with S2882 at least (didn't find the other two boards in the list).

I currently run the servers with 8 x CM72SD1024RLP-3200 and 8 x CM72SD1024RLP-2700 without any errors. It's unlikely (but I'm sure it's possible) that all eight 2GB modules are bad, so it seems that they are simply not compatible with any of these motherboards. The fact that Tyan no longer reocmmends them kinda supports that too.

I was told that this particular module has been discontinued - maybe for a reason - but in any case, what to do?

Joe

We have qualified these modules on S2882 but I did not see the other models listed. But I think the only major difference with the -d is X2 support. I would suggest testing the modules one set of 2 at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing.

All of them were tested in different pairs (some single also). The Machine Check Error (corrected) would show up after 1 to 10 minutes, and right away if I for instance checked memory bandwith with Sandra. I also tested using only one memory controller instead of both, tried different slots, etc

I used Auto memory setting on all servers.

Joe

Do you have the master ECC and Dram ECC set to enabled? And do you have the option to set the memory voltage? If so I would try 2.7 Volts.

No memory voltage settings. I could of course play with all the ECC settings (I used setup defaults), but this takes more time than I have. Besides, the "identical" 1GB version from Corsair works without a hitch, and I don't like the idea of tweaking memory settings on servers. The memory simply has to work. (which is why I bought Corsair in the first place)

Joe

• Corsair Employees
Joe, I would agree, but the bios will not always set the ECC function properly, please check the settings for master ECC and DRAM ECC and make sure these 2 options are set. If not that will probably take care of the problem.

Master ECC and DRAM ECC are supposed to be set by default, according to Tyan, but I'll check to make sure.

I'm still thinking that since the CM72SD1024RLP-2700 (or -3200) works fine, then the BIOS setting should be correct.

... but I'll check before submitting the RMA form.

Joe

• Corsair Employees
No problem, but I would suspect some other issue more to do with the density of the modules and the specific MB you are using. Or the modules may have been damaged during installation. It is easy to do I have done it my self with these stacked modules and testing them one or two at a time should show if one of the stacks is damaged.

Master/DRAM ECC are set in BIOS, and I have tested all of them in pairs, yes. It's not just one failing. It failed in every combination I added them in, regardless of the sockets used. Since Tyan isn't recommending this particular model anymore I assume they know or suspect they are not compatible.

What should I do next?

Joe

Archived