Corsair Community

a8v deluxe xms3200 help

trist

hi,

I purchased 2x512 xms3200 a few years back ,seperatly, and was lucky enough to get both sticks of the same revision,that being v1.2. I had used these sticks flawlessly in an asus nforce2 board until recently.

I have just upgraded to a8v deluxe , 3500 venice.I am having trouble with the memory dividers and getting the memory to its rated speed..some dividers wouldnt boot at all ,others just froze my system with a short period.

Thinking its probably the bios ,board or anything but my sweet ram..lol,i went and borrowed a geil:(: 2x512 value dual channel kit from a mate.The overpriced geil fired up at its rated speed , i could use all the dividers without a problem and it overclocked a little...so to make a long story short do i need new ram?..i will get my ram back today and tell my mate his was crap;): ..damn geil..and i will have to run it at around 196mhz..thats on a 333 divider,next lower one that works for that ram is 100..sry for the bable and if i put this in the wrong area...

thanks

Before you proceed Trist, what bios are you using on the A8V DLX mobo ? I owned one too and from Bios 1011 on, the memory dividers were foocked. (1014.001 beta was the best one for me superstable but not 100% working correctly ) Some worked others didn't. What timings are you using for the Dual channel operation of your ram , voltages set ( I needed to limit voltages at 2.7volts with the Asus board any higher and my XL ram would go erratic )

Did you run a thorough memtest on each module seperately ? a memtest on the dual channel ? If you intend to do some Oc'ing on this rig try firstly with some lower timings keeping the ratio at 2:1 which is DDR400 , so you are Oc'ing the ram and the CPU. If you don't intend to go shy high so eg like me a 219 Mhz or so ( to get 2400mhz CPU speeds ) with my previous 3500 Clawhammer don't fiddle around to much with memory dividers. Some users have had good results when placing the ram not in slot 1 and 3 but in 2 and 4But I haven't noticed a difference in my board.

Test first each stick individually and then see if one of them is performing less than hte other , had about the same issue with my seperately bought dimms (couldn't set 2 Cas needed to go 2.5 on my Intel rig to get it 100% stable )

hey m8,

thanks for that bit of info bout dividers..i think it has 1014 bios (shipped with that), but i will check in a minute, i can run 11x232 with a 333 divider no problem but just cant seem to get quite back to 200 (400)..using the 3/2(i think thats it) the mem starts out at 158mhz which would have been better to get higher overclock. but using that divider i can only get it to about 185mhz..and that crap ram from a mate ran that divider at 11x242=2662..which brought the ram back upto stock 400..mine wont do the same and its annoying the crap outa me lol...oh and to run it at 2/1 (400) it will not overclock at all..

Did you try 2.5-3-3-6 timings in the bios was 2t auto or disabled ?, did you verify the voltage , put it at 2.7 volts and you can try even a bit higher 2.75 (or even 2.8 volts) Voltage can be set in the jumperfree configuration , set AI Oc to manual and check the DDR voltage.

Just test each dimm seperately with memtest ( perferebaly at 2/1 ratio so DDR400 and with the above timings and voltage ) and see if any of the 2 has any flaws.

Archived