Corsair Community

P4N settings for Twin2X1024A-5400UL

nwheeler

I have a MSI P4N Diamond motherboard and two sets of Twin2X1024A-5400UL (4 sticks/2.0GB total).

When I put the memory into my PC, it uses the (pre-programmed?) settings of 4-4-4-15 at 667MHz and 1.85V. My system isn't being 100% stable, so I am wondering whether changing to the settings below would make it more or less stable?

1) I want to change this to 3-3-2-8, but am unsure about the impact of doing so ie. do I have to change other non-memory related settings?

2) If I change to 3-3-2-8, what do I set the tRC and Address Mode to?

3) I also want to change to 675MHz - do I have to change OC-related BIOS settings?

4) Does having two pairs stop you from going to 3-3-2-8?

Please forgive me for asking basic/stupid questions, but I am at the bottom of the learning curve. I have read various site postings, manuals, config info, but am looking for exact guidance to ensure that I make the right changes for the right reasons, while achieving greater stability and utilising the RAM to it's tested limits.

Thanks in advance, Nick

I seem to have stabilised the system. Touch wood. I replaced the graphics card, took out 1 pair of memory and updated to the latest nvidia drivers.

I had already run memtest+ on the 1.0GB memory that I left in the machine. Ran it for 73 passes/18 hours on the standard tests with no errors. As the system appears to have stabilised, I have put the other 1.0GB of corsair back into the PC and am now running memtest+ again. I'll run it until late tomorrow morning. The RAM is now one of the parts of the system that I am comfortable is running okay.

I tried changing to 2.1V before and the PC shut off completely, so thought I'd done something wrong.

Memory test came back 100% clear. System is being stable, apart from occasional non-fatal disk errors.

After a great deal of trouble-shooting, I have found that there were issues within the supplied motherboard (nvidia disk controller specifically) drivers. This has pretty much been resolved by using the latest drivers.

At this point in time, I just want to take the memory to it's tested limits of 3-3-3-2-8 675MHz. I'll leave proper overclocking until I have run the machine for an extended period of time with no problems whatsoever.

To help me understand, would you be able to give me your thoughts on these:

- does having two pairs reduce the overall possible speed?

- what should I set tRC and Address Mode to?

- should I really be looking to change the CPU MHz and multiplier in order to get the most out of the RAM?

- does the BIOS or the RAM set the volts at 1.85V?

- for this type of RAM, using the default 4-4-4-15 settings, is it better to run it at 1.85V or 2.1V?

Many thanks for your help, Nick

• Corsair Employees

- does having two pairs reduce the overall possible speed?

A: Yes it may! But you would just need to test it. However, for best performance 2-1.0 Gig modules may be best.

- What should I set tRC and Address Mode to?

A: Please follow the link in my signature for the tested settings, and any setting not listed should be set to Auto or Bios default.

- should I really be looking to change the CPU MHz and multiplier in order to get the most out of the RAM?

A: Yes all settings should be set manually.

- does the BIOS or the RAM set the volts at 1.85V?

A: The memory voltage will need to be set manually by you in your bios setup and I would suggest 2.1 Volts.

- for this type of RAM, using the default 4-4-4-15 settings, is it better to run it at 1.85V or 2.1V?

A: See previous answers!

That's great - really appreciate you answering all of my questions.

Just to clarify one point - are you saying that the memory would be "happier" at 2.1V rather than 1.85V (if keeping with 4-4-4-15 settings)?

Thanks again, Nick

• Corsair Employees

Nick,

Its your system and your money, so by all means you are welcome to do anything you like. But the suggested max voltage for these modules would be 2.1 Volts. So if you have a problem, then I would set the voltage other wise you can leave it as it is if you like!

Archived