Corsair Community

P4P800-E Deluxe and TWINX1024-3200XLPRO

alank

Hi. Just a couple of questions re my new TWINX1024-3200XLPRO ram and the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe.

1. In my chipset bios I have selected Memory Acceleration Mode and have no probs with my system...although from time to time, the system freezes for a micro second and then it's okay.

I have read where the voltage for this memory should be set at either 1.75 to 1.85. In the manual AI Overclock Tuner, I have set the DDR Reference voltage to 1.75 and the system very quickly gives me a blank screen in windows and reboots. If I reset the voltage to 1.65, then everything is fine.

I have also tried the DRAM frequency to 400hz. I think this is the right frequency.

The best and most stable setup for my system is overclocking the CPU by 10% - Pent 4 3.2 HT to 3.5, turbo mode, and memory acceleration mode to on...the rest is auto.

Anything here you are noticing that is either not setup well, or could be done better?

2. I recently had 2Gb of DDR 1GB XXXX 400MHz PC3200 RAM running on my system. It registered the 2Gb successfully. I could not enable memory acceleration unlike the Corsair. I thought I'd try the more expensive Corsair as the reviews looked impressive, and I wanted the best and fastest memory for my now somewhat outdated rig.

I have read where 4 stick of dual channel is not recommended and I'm wondering whether you would recommend an additional 1Gb as 'workable' in my system. In addition to working with large graphic and video files, I read a review on Battlefield 2 works best with 2Gb's for textures...doesn't make it necessarily faster, just seems to handle the load better.

Any thoughts/feedback/advice much appreciated.

PS. This is one of the best forums for the 'average joe' needing some informed opinions. ASUS's support is a non-event...for me at least, hasn't changed in terms of response since last year when several queries remained just that. I like the quality of their products for the most part, but if there's an issue - or question - the response is non-existent...and me a VIP too...

thanks

The voltage is probably being set 'behind the scenes' by the memory accelerator settings that you've enabled. Thus, when you manually set it, you're probably forcing it to use 2.75 volts whereas the default might up it to 2.85 without you really knowing about it.

Four modules in dual-channel is always a bit of a trick, but if you wanted to try it, you'd have to get two more identical modules. Getting the same revision is advised!

Mostly, though, people have to relax the latencies or turn off PAT and such when utilizing all four DIMM's, thus it's suggested that you just use a 2 x 1GB TwinX set rather than 4 x 512MB. Don't get me wrong, you can do it, but the latencies aren't garaunteed and it may not work with any memory accelerator settings.

As for Battlefield 2, actually, 2GB's of RAM does increase the FPS that you'll get... it's one of the very few programs that will utilize that much memory!

PLUR

CK

p.s. Sorry to hear about your quandries! If you post in the HoH (non-Corsair only forums), we'll be happy to help if we can!

thanks for your response. Until I experiment with additional memory, could you suggest memory settings with my motherboard. The tech dept gave me some suggestions for 4 dims. Could I trouble you for some similar advice for 2. I'll include what they suggested. Thanks heaps.

Alan,

Yes you can add another set of modules. However, you may have to relax the settings with 4 modules. I would try these settings with 4 modules and you can use http://www.memtest.org to test the system.

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

System Performance: Auto

Dim Voltage to 2.85 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

Memory timings set to Manual

PAM/PAT/MAM: Auto

SDRAM CAS Latency: 25T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

If these settings pass with 4 modules you can try and tweak the settings to get better performance.

:laughing:

Archived