Corsair Community

MSI K7N2 Delta-L w/ Twinx1024 XMS 3200C2

Ripper2860

I have just purchased my 1st pair of dual channel memory and thought of no one other than Corsair. I did my research prior to buying and bot corsair and MSI stated that these modules were compatible.

Here's some background...

1. Motherboard is as started above: MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR

2. Processor is Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (333 FSB)

3. CPU multiplier is unlocked so I can alter RAM to 200FSB and lower multiplier to ensure that speed is the same.

4. Running Dual Channel mode.

I've tried 2 sets of of the ram and cannot get it to load Windows at the specified 2.5-3-3-6, nor 2.5-3-3-7,nor 2.5-3-3-8 when using 2.7-2.9v memory voltage. Even when running 200MHz FSB DDR w/ 9x multiplier yiedling 1800MHz. System will only complete loading Windows when BIOS is set to optimal and timings are 3-3-3-8, otherwise it just locks up. This processor has been running at 2.3GHz for a few months and is now running at 11 x 200FSB, at 3-3-3-8, but I paid more to get to 200MHz w/ tighter timings.

Any ideas? I would think the odds of 2 sets being bad are slim, but both MSI and Corsair say this RAM will work. My head is hurting from trying to sort this out. I've been doing this stuff for 20 years and I really do know what I'm doing -- most of the time!! :)

Update -- system will not post at any other timings other than 3-3-3-8 and even at that Memtest fails with an error witihn the 1st 512MB after 1 successful pass with both modules installed.

Update 2 -- tested modules individually and 1 fails. Do I RMA 1 or both since it is a 2x512MB kit?

Update 3 -- Individually 1 module definitely works fine @2.5-3-3-6, but the other fails to boot at those timings and when it does boot @3-3-3-8 it fails memtest whether by itself or as part of a pair -- single or dual channel mode.

As ready as I was to trash the MSI mobo, it appears it is the RAM. :( Have submitted for RMA, although I dont know since it was a matched pair whether I should have submitted for 1 module or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted it out.

I got an RMA to return the Corsair RAM, but I just felt it was the mobo and not the RAM -- so I hung on to it a little longer for testing. Did that and a little research and here is what I found ...

There is a bug in the MSI K7N2 Delta2 BIOS for all BIOS versions after B3. It's a REALLY weird one and after doing some reading on MSI's forums I found a couple of posts that alluded to the very same issue I had.

If you disable DOT (dynamic overclocking technology) in BIOS -- the mere act of changing the settings from OPTIMIZED to other settings (PERFORMANCE, TURBO, or MANUAL) will cause extreme instability. If you change it to manual and enter the required Corsair RAM timings it just goes south. If you DISABLE DOT and leave all else as is (including the programmed 3-6-6-8 timings), stability improves somewhat.

And now the strange part -- If you set it to Manual and ENABLE DOT (and set at Private -- 1%) you can set all other BIOS timings to whatever is required by Corsair (in my case 2.5-3-3-6) and all is fine. 10 hours of testing w/ Memtest has revealed that this is stable -- where as it would fail with multiple errors in varying memory addresses with DOT disabled.

**Shame on me for disabling DOT cause I didn't want to auto overclock my manual overclock. Why would ANYONE ever want to do that?? :sigh!:

Also -- if you do a SHIFT+F2+ALT+F3 from the MAIN BIOS SCREEN -- it will reveal various "hidden" settings. One of particular interest to me was the DDR400PATCH: ENABLE/DISABLE option in the CORECELL section. In my case ENABLE works best (default), but I have read that in some cases DISABLED is better -- depends on the memory chips used on the module.

Hope this helps. It has certainly restored my faith in Corsair :praise: and called into question why MSI would leave this known problem in their BIOS for the last 3 revisions. Asleep at the wheel, I guess. :zzzz:

Thanks Corsair !!!!:D:

• 1 month later...

Thanks alot Ripper2860, your post has helped reduce much of my headache in setting up my new MSI K7N2 Delta2-FSR m/board. :D:

Just one point, I found that in BIOS - CELL MENU, I had to set CPU INTERFACE to AGGRESSIVE, before I could increase the CPU FSB above the m/board's default 100MHz (changed it to 166MHz).

It must be one of those MSI mysteries :confused: , as I am not O/C my board, just trying to my CPU to its AMD 2800+ mode.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

very, VERY helpful! i registered for this exact question - well my question was more like "why does the msi k7n2 delta2-lsr autodetect corsair twinx1024-3200c2pt as 3-3-3-8? when i set fsb ratio to "by spd"?"

i'm about to try everything you said, including the shift-f2-f3 or whatnot (must read again), since everything i've done other than letting it go "auto", while it will post, is pretty unstable in windows - will post back.

glad you've had luck over at the msi forums - seems they can't answer jack for me!

seems to be working, though my ratio is now 5:6 since it set to 200mhz when i set the ratio to "by spd". i'm about to set it manually to 1:1 and all should be fine.

just confirm, if you should read this again - you're running at 166mhz, 1:1, and 2.75v? that's where i want to be. (i'm pretty sure!? anyone correct me if it isn't)

i see now after reading the top half more closely, that he's overclocked 300mhz over where i want to be with my 2800 vs his 2500! keeping in mind that i have no desire to overclock, i'll accept that i bought too high a fsb ram for my processor and be happy with it at 166. :) nobody said i have to max it out.

but i got my timings right, anyway! and that's why i came.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

well I on the same problem, I have MSI k7n2delta isrl

and a semrpon 2600+

recently I bougth 1giga corsari memory

one 512 mb c2 and the other c2pt,

and I try to imporve the system

Sempron fsb is 166 mhz

and the memory is cl 2-3-3-6 set to 200 mhz but when I try to maniulate the ram the system doesnt alowed

Also I try to find if the bus or the dual ar already working but I dont know

please help me

thanks

• Corsair Employees

With this platform you have to run the memory in sync with your CPU, so please try these settings:

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

• 3 weeks later...

Ripper all of what you said about the dot stuff, i've been reading it over and over again, but i can't clarify what it is you advising us to do, to get the corsair ram to use 2-3-3-6 timings. Can you just explain it again, in layman's terms, are you just basically just saying to disable dot ? and that will allow the corsair ram to us better timings like 2-3-3-6 ?

As im having similar problem, my 3200C2 400Mhz twin-x 1024Mb sticks just refuse to load timings at cas 2, it's cas seems to always be 3-3-3-6 like your's was. Please help, as this is the only theory i've come across that looks like it might help the problem.

Archived