Corsair Community

Windows or MB?

kernal18

Hi, my name is Jay Cousins. I have a Soyo SY-P4I875P (Prescott Ready) MB. I am running a P4 3.0GHZ HT Processor and 2 CMX512A-3200C2PT Memory Modules. The gig of RAM is working fine. However, I just came accross 2 CMX256A-3200C2PT memory modules. The 2 512 memory modules are in memroy slots 1 and 2. I thought since the board was dual channel then the channels would run slots 1 and 3, but the board just beeped at me. So, the channels must be 1 and 2, and 3 and 4. The problem is this. When I put the 2 256MB modules in slots 3 and 4, BIOS detects the ram fine, it Verifies DMI correctly, and ESCD updates alright. But, when it goes to load up windows, it either restarts or I get the error message can't find Hal.dll. I have tried every possible combo with the memory to no avial. It seems that if I go to slots 3 and/or 4 Windows will not load. Any combo of any two modules in the first 2 slots works great. My power supply is 400W, and I have also tried flashing the BIOS. Does anyone have a clue to what is going on?

Thanks,

Jay

To run in dual-channel mode, you should have matched module pairs. These would be installed in both odd or both even-numbered slots. So, 1-3 would work, and 2-4 would work. 1-3 & 2-4 would work, but only if you have matched module pairs - and they play nice with each other. It is not recommended to mix and match, especially if you want to use dual-channel.

Your problem is this: You don't have suitable memory pairs - and when you populate your system board, it is expecting the memory to run in dual-channel mode, which it can't do.

What you need to do is either:

a) eBay the lot and buy yourself a new matched pair (or two new matched pairs) of the same memory type, or:

b) Make do with only two modules.

It would be worth trying to see if you can get any pair of same-size modules to work in slots 1-3 or 2-4 (but not both). If you cannot do this, you will need to sell all your memory and buy new modules - if you want dual-channel mode, that is. Unfortunately, your motherboard's manual does not indicate any jumper or BIOS option that can force dual-channel mode off - so you're going to have to make sure you have memory that plays nice, if you want to use all four slots.

It does say in my manual that if you don't install memory according to the table, then Dual Channel Mode is turned off. No jumper necessary. I assume that is matched pairs is slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4. The modules are either both CMX512-3200C2P, or CMX256A-3200C2P anyway. The 512 modules are differen revisions, and the 256 arethe same revision. If I try the 256 modules together in slots 1 and 3(Dual Channel) or the 512 modules in the same slots then the board beeps at me. I can understand maybe the 512modules not working together because of the revision number. But, If the memory has the same size and model number including revision, how are they different enough not to work in Dual Channel?

As a test of the 512's, put them in 1 & 3 w/out any other modules and test the setup with Memtest86+. Do the same with the pair of 256's and see if you get any errors.

If not, I'd go into the BIOS and relax the memory latencies to 2.5-3-3-7 and see if that helps. That's CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS and you may also need to set the Command Rate to 2T.

Finally, increase the VDimm (DDR Voltage) to 1.75 or 1.8 volts and see if that helps.

PLUR

CK

CK,

I have tried the 512s by themselves in slots 1 and 3, and the board beeps telling me that the memory is wrong. The same with the 256s. I am thinking that it either the board, or a chipset incompitability. I tried the modules on a friends Soyo board that is almost the same excpet it has the 865PE chipset, not the 875, and the thing booted up and ran windows perfectly with all of the memory in it. I have relaxed the latencies to 2.5-3-3-8 with no avail and I can not set the command rate. There is something called the refresh rate that is rated at US units (ex 64us). I don't know what that is. I have pumped volts up to 2.8V. Is the 1.75 and 1.8 the Voltage for the processor that you mentioned?

Archived