Corsair Community

Help with A8N Premium

gogo

Hi there,

I got myself in some sort of trouble with the A8N SLI Premium by Asus. It will present me with one of these damned blue screens (it´s usually a STOP-error with some sort of memory adress or a KERNEL STUCK PAGE ERROR). Installation of XP never fails, 3D-mark 2005 has never failed so far but applications often do. Like checking the harddrive for viruses, surfing the internet or at the very end of the XP-boot process just when all the startup processes are being loaded. When I got the board it usually got stuck upon recognizing the tye of memory used (not the size), I tried to switch it to manual mode but to no avail. This problem has gone though, why I do not know (maybe the two BIOS updates did the trick). I use a 2x 512 MB RAM Corsair VS1GBKIT400, the board will constantly set it to 2T instead of 1T. The DDR-RAM-Voltage is set to 2,6 V. Could that be too low? I use the very latest beta-bios, have installed the latest chipset drivers, the latest graphic drivers, have NOT installed the IDE drivers supplied by Nvidia (too many complaints from users in the net) and so on. Memtest has not shown any errors so far (but I let it run only for one lag). I am not keen on overclocking (7.800 3DMarks 2005 are very OK for me), I just want the damn board to work without these notorious blue screens, I just hate them :-)

These are the specs for my machine:

Asus A8N- SLI Premium w. latest BIOS

AMD 64 X2 4200 (not overclocked)

Gainward 7800 GTX 256 MB Grapics Card

2x160 Seagate SATA Drives as a RAID (at the Silicon Controller)

Thermaltake Pure Power 500W Series ATX 12V 2.0 PS

2x512 MB RAM Corsair VS1GBKIT400

Hercules Game Theater XP 7.1 (put that out but problem still persists)

Windows XP SP2 with alle the latest patches/ fixes

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Gogo

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks a lot, but I was able to track the problem down to the silcion raid controller i attached my sata hard drives to (raid 0). by using the nvidia controller the problem has obviously gone away :-) by the way: i want to install 2 GB of RAM (Battlefield 2 is demanding, isn´t it?). What Dual Channel Kit would you recommend?

thanks again, gogo

Hi Mr. Ramguy,

a friend of mine owns a Pc-Shop. He gave me another set of 2x512 MB RAM Corsair VS1GBKIT400 for trying, so I have four identical modules now. My Asus A8N Premium refuses to boot with all 4 of them inserted, no matter how I try. There is just a repeated, prolonged beep and no signal out. The timings are set to auto, the voltage has been raised up to 2,8 V. However, the QVL of Asus defintilely states 4 of your modules would work. I have, as mentioned in my earlier post,an AMD X2 4200+ CPU...Am I wrong or is Asus a company run by nitwits...:-)

gogo

• Corsair Employees
Please try the modules one set at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would try slots 1-3 and see if it will post! I suspect that this is a bios issue, as I have the same issue with a A8N-SLI running 4 modules, will not post with them in slots 1-3 or with 4 modules with a FX-55 CPU. Also when you run memtest please make sure that both sets are getting set to Cass 2.5-3-3-8.

Thanks for your answer,

the modules are OK (no errors in memtest). I downloaded the very latest beta BIOS (1.09 that is) but to no availl. You recommended a VS2GBKit400C3 or for better performance one set of Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules, will these definitely work in that machine or is 1 GB the max you can get out of that Asus-Board (well, Asus says you can insert up to 4 GB of RAM, but somehow I have my doubts about the reliability of any of their claims:-))?? I have to know that because - unlike the Corsair 2x512 Kits - I will not be able to bring back the 2GB-Kit to my supplier should the board decide to play hard-to-get again...

gogo

Hi,

I got the TwinX2048-3200C2 Kit today. I think I know now why you guys introduce Asus-Ready memory :-). The PC boots up, no problem, I have 2 GB of RAM in Windows, yes, but the timings seem to be completely wrong. This is what the BIOS reports on "Auto" settings:

CAS 3, 8T, 3T, 3T, 11T, 13T, 5T 2T.

I don`t know a lot about RAM but this definitely is a CAS 2 RAM-Kit, so CAS 3 is way off. Should I try manual settings and if so, which?

gogo

ALL C2s have 3-3-3-8 in their SPD chip. Just set it manually:

CAS Latency (tCL): 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings to defaults.

Archived