Corsair Community

Bad TWINX1024-3200LLPT module (memtest errors)

Dr. John

I've had a (2 x 512) set of Corsair XMS PC3200LLPT RAM since ~ Sept. 2003, and I recently started getting some errors while encoding video, playing games, etc.

I tested both RAM modules using Memtest86, and I'm pretty sure that one of the 512 MB modules has a problem. I ran the following tests:

Both modules together - 2 passes w/ 1323 errors using mem slots 1 & 3

Module #1 only - 2 passes w/ no errors using mem slot 1

Module #1 only - 2 passes w/ no errors using mem slot 3

Module #2 only - 2 passes w/ 103 errors using mem slot 1

Module #2 only - 2 passes w/ 101 errors using mem slot 3

If I (and I probably do) need to RMA my RAM to Corsair, should I send in both sticks of RAM since it is a matched pair? Or will only the bad module be replaced? I'm not sure how this would work.

Thanks for the help.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, (Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3"), for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Ok, thanks Ram Guy.

I did what you suggested, and I'm still getting errors with one of the RAM modules.

So even though it seems like only one RAM module is defective, can I still send both in to Corsair to ensure that I receive a matched pair as a replacement?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my replacement TWINX1024-3200XLPT, and I'm dying to put it through its paces and play F.E.A.R. I was going to run Memtest86+ first, but before that, I wanted to make sure the settings in the BIOS were correct. I changed the timings to 2-2-2-5, but I had a question about the voltage...

I've heard/read that most Corsair RAM should be set to 2.7v, but then on the specs page @ Newegg, I noticed it said 2.75v. My BIOS (Abit IC7-G) only has settings for 2.7v and 2.8v. What should I set it to?

Thanks for the help.

Archived