Corsair Community

Questionable twinx 1024 3200xl pair

caldarp

Im using a twinx1024 3200XL pair in my newly build PC on a DFI LP UT Ultra-D motherboard. The board has the memtest86 program integrated into the bios.

After some strange reboots of my machine (which were difficult to reproduce) i did an overnight run of memtest86. There i find two distinct adresses which always fail at test #5, but not nescessaraly on every run and not nescessaraly both of the adresses at the same time.

My question is:can i rely on the errors as indicated by the integrated memtest86 (in which case i have a defective pair), or should i download other utillities (due to the discussions regarding test #5)?

P.S. I'm using 2-2-2-5@200Mhz setting (no overclock); Vdimm 2.80V; Vchip 1.6V, No C&Q, rest on auto with the latest (official) 623-3 bios.

Thanks in advance

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200Xl

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Thanks for the swift reply.

I have used the settings as indicated, except from the CPU voltage settings. I'm using a A64 X2 3800+, which has a variable voltagesetting. To my knowledge that means that the voltage can vary from one production batch to another. At the auto setting it starts with:

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.20

CPU VID Control: 1.20

My question is if the jump to 1.55V isn't to much (25% increase)?

I'm also wondering about the effectiveness of testing the modules individually. As understood from the reading this forum, modules from different productions dates won't (nescessaraly) work together in dual channel mode, which was the main reason of buying the matched pair.

Archived