Corsair Community

Problem with Aus p5wd2 and 1gb 5400UL

balth_dire

Hello.

I've just purchased two packs of twin2x1024a-5400UL (2gbs in total) and was hoping to run all four sticks in my Asus p5wd2.

However it would appear that neither pair is operating to their official spec.

I've tested each pair seperately (let's call them pair 1 and pair 2)

Relevant bios settings are as follows.

BIOS version - 422

DRAM frequency - 675mhz

Memory Voltage - 2.10 volts

Performance Mode -Auto

CPU Frequency - 225mhz

CPU voltage - Auto

FSB termination voltage - Auto

MCH Chipset Voltage - 1.50

Now, with these settings.

with Pair 1 installed, I can't even make it into windows without a blue screen.

with Pair 2, windows does load but I fail a Prime95 blend test after only a few minutes.

It is certainly not my CPU as the memory I had previously (4 512mb sticks of CM2X512-5400C4PRO) worked without any issues at all.

Have there been other reported problems with this board or have I been unclucky enough to get 2 duff pairs!

Full system spec below:

PSU - Powerstream 600watt

Motherboard - P5WD2 premium

Graphics card - 7800GTX

CPU - 840 dual core extreme edition

3x WD raptors 10.000rpm

2 sound cards and 1 video editiing card.

Any help would be appreciated.:(:

Hello again, thanks so much for the quick response.

Sorry, there might be a slight misunderstanding...I did indeed forget to tell you the timings:o:

The new memory I've just purchased (the twin2x 5400UL) is to replace some old 5400C4Pro.

As I understand, this new memory is guaranteed to work at 3-3-2-8 at a frequency of 675mhz, correct? This is all I'm trying to achieve - forget running four sticks for the moment - It seems I can't even run 2 sticks reliably at this speed when using the correct voltage etc. Now that I've provided that bit of info - which I should have before - you might want to re-read my original post as it will probably make more sense :):

• Corsair Employees

Well with the settings you gave you are exceding that.

The memory frequency is actually a divider from the CPU Freq. so if you have the memory set to 675MHz and the CPU Freq at 225 MHz that would make the memory frequency about 733MHz.

No, I did adjust the divider accordingly in order to make sure this did not happen. With the default ratio it would indeed have been around 733mhz, but I had it at exactly 675mhz in accordance with your testing methods.

To further eliminate potential complications, I dropped the CPU freq back to 200mhz and ran the mem at 667mhz and still I have similar problems.

Neither pair shows any sign of stability at the recommended settings. Are there any other settings I've missed out? I've read numerous reviews for this memory, many use this board to test with and seem to have no issues running at the specified speeds.

Thanks again for your help.

For the moment I'm just trying to run 2 modules to their advertised spec.

If I drop to 533mhz, yes, the system is stable. But then I loose 20% in performance. Surely I should not have to make this sacrifice. I'm no longer overclocking, everything is at stock, it ought to run at 667mhz with timings of 3-3-2-8 as printed on the modules, is that not correct?

It seems that one pair is slightly less flakey than the other. Is it possible that the board is undervolting slightly?

• Corsair Employees

With this Motherboard and CPU you may not be able to run the settings exactly as we tested the modules

Please try these settings one set at a time and lets make sure one is not failing.

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 250MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T (Revised 6/27/2005)

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 4

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

Chipset Core Voltage: 1.7 Volts

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

Thanks once again.

There are two slight problems with the settings you've given.

1. My CPU won't take an external Freq of 250mhz, It'll have to be 200

2. My chipset core voltage (MCH I assume) only goes up to 1.65v

However, having just read your suggestions, I noticed that the Ras Cas and Precharge settings appear in a different order in the bios than is displayed in CPU-Z. That is to say. It seems I had it set to 3-2-3-8 instead of 3-3-2-8,

Should the order the numbers are printed on the module match the order in which they are displayed in CPU-Z?

If so, I had the RAS CAS and RAS precharge settings the wrong way round.

In any case, I've now switched them round and am testing both pairs again.

Would this make a huge amount of difference?

• Corsair Employees
The order they are listed is not important except that you must match the correct settings. In other words some MB's may be listed like Cass 8-3-2-3 and some may have it listed as Cass 3-2-8-3. What's important is to match the acronym IE TRCD, TRAS, TRP ect.

OK,

after 1 day of extensive testing I've discovered the following.

1. All modules work to their specified timings when the frequency is set to 533mhz

2. At 675mhz (the official maximum), one of the pairs (strangely the one which I thought was flakey) does seem to work at 3-3-2-8, while the other needs to be run at 2.15v instead of the approved 2.10 in order to run at these timings without prime95 locking up.

The strange thing is, the pair that needs 2.15v to work to spec will also run at 3-2-2-8 provided this voltage is used. While the other pair, which doesn't need the extra voltage to work to spec, does not work at 3-2-2-8 no matter whether 2.10v or 2.15v is selected.

Adjusting other settings such as northbridge and southbridge voltages seems to have no effect on anything

I've not done any extensive testing with all four sticks installed. What would be the next logical step? Should I try all four sticks using 667mhz - 3-3-2-8 and a voltage of 2.15v?

• Corsair Employees

If you use more than one set of modules, you may have to relax the timings because of loading on the memory controller. But you are welcome to try anything you like. However the tested settings would only be guaranteed with one set of modules.

And the settings of Cas 3-3-2-8 would be suggested for one set only. However, you are welcome to try it with both sets; some have had no problem running 4 modules.

Thanks again,

But as stated, now I know for sure that one of the two sets will definitely not work at 667/675mhz at 3-3-2-8 unless I increase the voltage from 2.10 to 2.15, whilst the other will. Which leaves me with two questions,

1. Why would this be? Is it because the rest of my system is heavily loaded (840 extreme CPU, 3 raptor hard disks, 3 pci cards, 2 optical drives etc), and this is causing a slight sag in voltages across the board, so to speak?

and

2. Will it be safe to run them at 2.15v?

• Corsair Employees
Maximun voltage for all of our DD2 moduleswould be 2.1 Volts, except for XM2S-8000UL which are 2.2 Volts, and if the MB is actually at 2.15 Volts I dont think that would be a problem. And yes it may be the becasue the system is laoded down, however testing them in another system if you can may help tp isolate that.

Archived