Corsair Community

3 bad RAM sticks

Krogen

Hello everyone!

I like Corsair, they never gave me problems until a week ago when I bought 2 new RAM sticks -- ValueSelect 512MB DDRAM 3200 (two of them). I now have 2 old RAM sticks in my PC, an old Kingston 512MB 2700 and an old Corsair ValueSelect 512 3200 which I got with my PC (which isn't new...). I never experience any freezes, slowdowns, or BSODs.

All right, so what's the big deal? I can't even surf the web with my two new sticks. No game will run. BF2 will exit when loading. Browser will crash. After couple of minutes of doing my daily-computer tasks, I get a BSOD. I tried different combinations (putting them in different slots) and putting only one in the case, did not fix the problem.

I tried running memtest, it gave me a lot of errors (at least I think so). By the end of test 3, there were over 6,000.

Last but not least, my old Corsair stick burned out. I'm not exactly sure how that happened, tried that one on two PCs.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

All right, thanks.

I'm 100% sure about the old stick, it does not work. For the other two, I tried raising the voltage and setting up the timings, but, unfortunetely, when I saved the settings to BIOS something went wrong and it froze on the BIOS boot. (Didn't pass the memory test) Had to reset it with the on-board jumpers.

I don't have another computer that would accept 3200 DDRAM sticks, so I'm kind of stuck on this one.

Can I still request an RMA?

Thank You.

I tried changing the voltage again, and, everything worked fine this time. (Changed it from 2.6 to 2.7)

Don't know if it made a difference or not but I didn't have any BSODs and errors, yet, and I have my PC turned on for over an hour. I tried running Battlefield 2 (a PC game) and it froze in the middle of loading a map.

Question: What are the correct timings for my memory sticks? I'll try setting these again and see what will happen.

3x 512 MB Value Select 400MHz RAM

Thanks, I'll try that and post back the results. And, yes, my PC is well underpowered. When I got my NVIDIA 6800, almost all of my case LEDs turned off, and if I switch the graphics card to something old, like NVIDIA FX 5200, they come back on. 350 Watt is the MINIMUM. ;)

I'll looked into my PCs' BIOS and I found this... I think it's already set to the above values in the automatic mode.

CAS: 2.5

RAS to CAS: 3

Min RAS Active: 6

Row Precharge: 3

2.7 Volts

Like I said before, Windows does not freeze, but game will not work. Will try testing with the memtest!

*EDIT* My bad, I got one Firefox error so far when exiting.

Got two BSODs. Game not working. Firefox crashing. Thaught this was a voltage problem :(

I tried raising the voltage to 2.8, didn't change much if it changed anything at all. I tried using just those two new RAM modules, without the third one, and the same thing happened. If I use two old ones, everything will work perfectly. (Both configurations equal to 1GB except the old ones are 3200 and 2700)

Will try memtesing each one later today.

All of the modules are 512MB. (I have 2 new VS512MB400 [sorry if I mixed up the numbers] one 1 year old one [working perfectly fine - VS512MB400] one burned out one that I'm 100% sure it's not working [VS512MB400], and one Kingston 2700, which is working fine. Until now, I had the 1 year old one from Corsair and Kingston in my PC.)

Would like to use 3 VS512MB400 (one old and two new).

Sorry, I'm trying to explain my problem to the best of my ability.

• Corsair Employees

No worries, as I am just trying to uderstand the issue, so we can get it resolved.

First thing to do would be to test the modules one at a time if you have not done so. With http://www.memtest.org; making sure they are set to the same timings and all pass memtest.

If all of them pass then with 3 modules installed in this platform you may have to set the memory frequency at DDr266 or DDR333 and you will have to run them at 2t Command Rate as well. And I would set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts as well. But if all of them pass one up that would suggest some other problem.

Tested! I guess my old Corsair is... Bad. Here are the notes I took during my extensive testing! :)

All tests were done with 2.7 Volt configuration (if no noted differently). With 2.5-3-3-8 for Corsairs and 2.5-3-3-7 for my old XXXXXXXXX.

ALL 3 Corsairs: 4 errors by the end of test 1. New in slot #1, new in slot #2, old in slot #3.

New Module #1: Passed 3 tests with no errors, stopped the test on 4.

New Module #2: Passed 3 tests with no errors, stopped the test on 4.

Old Corsair Module: 73 errors by the end of test #3, stopped on the test 4.

XXXXXXXXX: Passed 3 tests with no errors, stopped the test on 4.

Two new Corsairs, slot 1 and 2, passed with no errors.

New ones in slot one and two, XXXXXXXXX in three, passed all 3 tests, stopped on 4. Booted to Windows with the following configuration, got a BSOD (Page_Fault_IN_NONPAGED_AREA), reseted my PC.

Got errors on 2.8 Volts with XXXXXXXXX and 2 new Corsairs.

Passed all 3 tests with 2.6V with XXXXXXXXX and 2 new Corsairs. No errors, but the Windows booted, it restarted immidietely.

No errors with 2 new Corsairs on 2.6V. Windows works on this configuration. No BSODs, game works.

All right, so in a summary, this actually tells me that only the old Corsair is... Bad. And, somehow, Corsair doesn't like the other model. (Or maybe is it the lower speed of the module?)

I know slot one and two are working fine since my PC haven't crashed... Yet... On these two with my new Corsairs.

I'll try to see if the third one's working right now.

EDIT: All slots seem to be working fine. Switched the one in #2 to #3, test passed, Windows booted, game working.

Archived