Corsair Community

bad RAM? comp keeps resetting

tktran215

just ordered a new stick of Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT 512MB DDR400 PC3200 XMS. i installed it and within a new minutes, the comp resets itself. i didn't think anything of it and a few minutes later, it does it again. i moved the RAM to a different DIMM slot, but it's still doing it. i finally removed it and the comp is running fine now.

it is not a compatibility issue because i have the exact same stick running right now, and it has been working flawlessly for the past 3 years.

i tried downloading memtest and running it, but it is a bit confusing and beyond my technical prowess. please help.

Board: ePox 84rda+

Chip: AMD Athlon XP 2600+

RAM: Corsair CMX512 3200C2PT 512MB DDR400 PC3200 XMS

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performenace: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

i tested both modules, one at a time, with memtest with those settings and found no errors. i even tested the modules at my OC'ed settings and found no errors.

a weird thing did happen however. after testing, i inserted the new RAM module and the pc didn't want to start. the mb started beeping and didn't boot up at all. i had to reset the cmos and start up in with default settings. i now have both modules installed with my original OC'ed settings and its been running fine...so far.

my settings are below. are these settings safe for the modules? if not, what are optimal settings? what OC'ed settings are safe for my pc?

CPU Freq: 185 MHz

System Performenace: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.63 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 185MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Archived