Corsair Community

2x 512 XMS PC 3200 random crashes when playing games

llamaindustries

I've been having this problem for the last couple of weeks on my computer, and now, out of the blue, my computer won't POST.

Before the box blew up completely, I ran memtest86 under Linux and within 10 minutes it came up with errors. I ran memtest with both sticks and then with each individual stick. All three times the test was run, memtest came up with errors.

The memory is a Corsair PC3200 2x 512. Cas Latentcy of 2.5. The memory and processor was running at the normal speeds and wasn't overclocked. I've tried everything that I found on the forums here and nothing seems to help. I think my sticks of RAM are bad.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

llamaindustries

• Corsair Employees

Can you tell me the model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

ASUS A7V would not support DDR memory only SDRAM, and what slots do you have the modules in?

Can you tell me the model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

ASUS A7V would not support DDR memory only SDRAM, and what slots do you have the modules in?

Sorry, that was my mistake (I'm at work and didn't know the specs off the top of my head).

The Mobo is an A7N8X-E Deluxe (So it does support DDR). The modules were in slots 2 and 3 according to the Mobo manual, IIRC.

The proc speed is at 1.8 Gigahertz with 333 FSB(the stock speed) and the memory was running at the stock speed. I couldn't tell you specifics on the BIOS because the computer is dead right now.

Thanks Ram Guy,

llamaindustries

Please try these settings and then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performenace: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: By SPD

I'll try that when I get home if I can get my computer working to the point where I can run memtest.

Thanks.

I'll try that when I get home if I can get my computer working to the point where I can run memtest.

Thanks.

So having just bought a new computer (or at least motherboard and processor), I tried out the sticks of memory. They both failed the memtest miserably. Within 5 minutes, I had errors on both sticks. Can I get an RMA?

Thanks,

llamaindustries

These are the settings I tried it with.

Processor is now an Athlon 64 3200+.

Mobo is Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.

The memory (one stick at a time) was running on DDR333 in single channel, 64-bit mode.

On my old computer, memtest shot up errors when the memory (both of the individual sticks) got to the Random Number Sequence of memtest.

The first stick I tried had about 50 errors. THe second stick had 3 errors.

I'm positive it's the memory. I had to get another stick of memory so I could actually use the computer and it's the exact same type as this memory. It ran through memtest without a hitch.

• Corsair Employees

I would try these settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and please let me know on what test you get errors.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performenace: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

• Corsair Employees
If you are not getting errors in memtest then yes I would suspect the memory is fine. Are you still have a problem? And if so can you tell me what error or problem you get? And please list the exact system spec if that has changed from what you have listed in your signature.

Athlon 64 3200+

Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939

2x 512 PC3200 XMS (1024 total).

Radeon 9800 non-pro

WD HDD 80gig 7200 RPM.

Same system, just new motherboard and processor.

The error did NOT happen when I ran the RAM at the 2.5-3-3-7 settings. Both sticks passed memtest. BUT when I run the memory normally, without making any of the changes, the memory gives errors. Also, isn't this memory DDR 400? It has a 400 megahertz thing on the sticker, but it's running at DDR 333. I'm missing something here. Why would the changes of 2-2-2-5 to 2-3-3-7 make a difference?

The errors of the normal speeds (without changing the CAS) happens when memtest hits the Random Number Sequence test. This happens on both sticks.

If the memory is NOT bad, how can I get my system to run the gigabyte of memory to run without crashing my computer?

I'm really lost here, man. Please help me out.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

It might be your Radeon 9800 card.

I had one of those for my AV8 motherboard and the Radeon 9800-256mb card I was running was unstable when I tried playing Guild Wars. Then became unstable playing other games after I installed Guild Wars. I took my computer to have a diagnostic check and they said it was the card.

I switched it to a eVGA 6800-256mg AGP card and everything worked fine.

Have you tried another video card?

Archived