Corsair Community

A8V FX-53 TwinX1024-4000 Pro Config Questions

enrol

Hi,

I have my Asus A8V with an FX-53 processor water cooled. (idle 40 to load 53) I have tried some overclocking using the Corsair TwinX1024-4000 Pro. I have the VDimm set for 2.8v and the 3-4-4-8 settings. Every other setting is auto or default.

I know i likely won't reach DDR500 that the memory can handle but here is what i am currently stable at in memtests and prime95

HTT 4x, 220 x 12, 1.65V (bios) (Asus probe reads 1.614)

HTT 4x, 236 x 11, 1.65V (bios).

I am wondering if there is any other tweaks in the memory setting that could get me any higer performance. I pretty happy with the results but am always looking for more! Human nature I guess!

TIA

Probably he's still using DDR400 or 2:1 setting, I could go up to 240Mhz with 2.5-3-3-8 on 1T with my XL ram but with my ram on that board I couldn't use more than 2.75 volt otherwise I got into trouble. Also he needs to verify the bios for that mobo, 1009 was the best release (due to the fact it was stable plus it had working dividers, from 1011 it all went haywire, I'm still using 1014.001 beta bios to full satisfaction )

I just read up on a forum ( whose name I am not allowed to post if you want the link pm me then) many users have reached max of 2600Mhz on the FX53 with air and water cooling. I just think you are maxing the cpu out mate and only using dividers will help you to get a bit more of CPU speed but loose on memory performance. It's all about finding the sweetspot. Many users seem to use the 1009 bios because it's dividers are working properly and it is superstable in all departments. My 4000 (2400Mhz) San Diego core couldn't reach 2600Mhz no matter what I tried ( I am stuck with the 12 Multiplier not like you ) on the Via chipset, on the newer Abit mobo (Nforce4 ) it runs happily at 2604Mhz ( = 12x 217 1:1 Timings 2-3-3-7 at stock voltage 1.450 volts ) no sweat there. Just to indicate that using the same ram and CPU this chipset OC's better than the VIA one

Thanks for the tips. I will test them out and see what i get. I do video editing and I have found that faster RAM vs faster CPU results in lower encoding time. It is a bit ironic as encoding is very CPU intenstive.

True. It is all about finding the "sweet" spot.

Afte a weekend of testing here is what i found

Using a 5/3 divider and 3-3-3-6 I was able to get memory to run stable at 240 Mhz. With some SiSandra comparisons the actual throughput of the RAM fell from my original settings.

With setting the T1 Command to enabled I was able to get to 242, but again throughput was lowered.

So I did some more testing at original (236 Mhz x 11, 2:1 divider, HTT=3x, mem=3-4-4-8) settings. I ran memtest for 9 hours no problem. So I went to 237 Mhz and ran memtests. In over 8 hours of tests (27 passes) I got 8 errors always on Test #5 and always on the lower bits 00000ff but for only 2 of the 27 passes. So I must be on the threshold of some component but what actually is limiting me from going further? The memory is rated for 250Mhz so it is something in the processor. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for my own sake.

thanks so much for all your help. It was a good learning exercise.

Archived