Corsair Community

ASUS P5WD2 Prem Issues

Vfast

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone out there who may be running a similar system to mine or perhaps having similar issues. I've trawled through the forums and look at most P5WD2 post and also some other ASUS P5AD2 posts.

Anyway here's my setup and my problem is below that:

Mobo : ASUS P5WD2 Prem with 0512 bios (tried all available bios revs.)

CPU : Intel 775 3.6 GHz 660

RAM : Corsair TWIN2X 1GB 6400 (running as per Corsair guide for this ram)

GFX : Nvidia 7800GTX

PSU : Antec Neo Power 480

HDDs : 3 x Seagate 250Gb 7200

Optical : 2 x DVDRW drives

The Issue: When running games such as Silent Hunter III or BF2 my system will lock / freeze. The screen remains frozen with whatever was on it, and the sound loops like a stuck record player (showing my age there). The system seems stable when just plodding around in Windows XP, reading email, surfing. However sometime Winamp can cause a lock up.

What I've tried:

- Successfully run Memtest86 for 3 passes.

- Running motherboard with defaults. eg. Auto for everything.

- Running the RAM at lower freq. eg 533MHz.

- Removing sound card (Audigy) and using on board.

- Disable Speedstep and set Peg Link to slow, disable AI NOS.

I'd like anyone's opinion on what is going on here. I have a suspicion that perhaps my system is drawing too much for the PSU? I dont have a real easy way to test / confirm this however (apart from spend $ on a new PSU).

I'd also like anyone who is running a similar setup without issue to let me know.

Welcome to the forums, Vfast!

I'd say you've got something that is either overheating or your PSU isn't keeping up. Might want to install MBM (Motherboard Monitor) or the ASUS version which comes on their software disks to watch the temperatures of your board and CPU... also, you should watch the voltages off of your PSU when you're playing a game... they might be dropping as the PSU heats up.

Really, trying another PSU would be a good idea since it's only in high-stress when your system fails, might also want to check the CPU and GPU for temps.

PLUR

CK

WOW! Thanks for the superfast reply CandyKid...

Ok - should have mentioned. Using PC Probe my temps at idle are:

CPU : 45c

Mobo : 34c

I've had the Nvidia temp monitor open after playing a game, it gets to around 60c.

I have a Antec P180 case with the standard 3 x 120mm fans, it seems to run very cool. So based on your comments I'm starting to think it's PSU, damn it.

Welcome to the forums, Vfast!

I'd say you've got something that is either overheating or your PSU isn't keeping up. Might want to install MBM (Motherboard Monitor) or the ASUS version which comes on their software disks to watch the temperatures of your board and CPU... also, you should watch the voltages off of your PSU when you're playing a game... they might be dropping as the PSU heats up.

Really, trying another PSU would be a good idea since it's only in high-stress when your system fails, might also want to check the CPU and GPU for temps.

PLUR

CK

Just an update on my problem.

I have tried CandyKid's suggestions and what I have found was:

HEAT: I think my chipset is getting too hot, because I am using Scythe Ninja heatsink without a Fan, due to my case's great design.

I noticed, by touching ( :eek: ) the chipset heatsink during games play that it's REALLY hot, as in pull finger away after 2 seconds.

As I stated, the CPU and motherboard temps are consistantly low, however I dont think there's enough airflow under the heatsink near the Chipset heatsink.

I tested my theory by placing a 8cm fan ontop of my GFX card pointed directly at the chipset, and was able to play without lock up.

So now I am faced with a chipset heatsink purchase, or new CPU cooler. :sigh!:

Not so bad I guess.

Archived