Corsair Community

Bad CMX512-3200LLPT TwinX module

kraygien

I have been having problems with my computer ever since I put it together a year and a half ago. I have finally had it with the continual crashes and BSODs, so I decided to figure out what is going on. In doing so, it appears I have a bad memory module.

The memory, purchased from ZimZoomFly, consists of two modules (TwinX): CMX512-3200LLPT XMS3200 512MB (1GB total) XMS3205v1.2.

I have used two different memory testing softwares, one from Microsoft and the one offered on the Corsair site. With both software I receive errors if both sticks of memory are in place. I have successfully run 50+ passes with NO errors with just one of the two sticks in place, and with the other I receive consistent errors. There were two tests with the Microsoft software which showed consistent errors that showed up when either both or the single bad stick was used, and test 5 in the Corsair software showed several errors during most every pass with either both or the one stick installed as well.

I have never overclocked the memory, and the BIOS in my motherboard automatically detects the proper settings for both sticks and for each stick individually. From what I've read in these forums it appears that one of the two sticks is bad. Is there anything else I should check before jumping to this conculsion and requesting an RMA?

Additionally, I don't want to be without a computer for the next 1-2 weeks. If I call after an RMA is approved, are you aware if the RMA department will cross ship replacement parts if I provide a credit card number to them? I thought about purchasing another TwinX 1GB set to use in the interim which would increase my memory to 2GB when the RMA was competed, but the memory I am having problems with has been discontinued so the replacement memory may not work properly with the additional memory, leaving me without this option.

Thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.775 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have (Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3"), and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thank you for the quick reply. Legacy USB was enabled in my BIOS and the "auto" setting for memory had a different voltage than 2.775v selected. The memory speed was figured correctly. I disabled legacy USB and manually adjusted the voltage, rebooted and checked the settings in the BIOS to ensure they were as you outlined. I then booted to Memtest and ran a few tests with the same result as before. I ran both strips and received errors in tests 5 & 7 during pass 1. I ran the "good" strip separately in both sockets and there were no errors after the first pass. I ran the "bad" strip separately in both sockets and there were errors in each instance during tests 5 &/or 7 both times during the first pass.

I went ahead and followed your instructions to obtain an RMA. As a sidenote, the RMA department WAS willing to cross ship, but they required I pay for the new memory up front with a promise of a full credit when the defective equipment is received.

Thanks again.

I received the replacement memory sticks a couple of days ago and have been running with no BSOD since. Granted, I've been busy with work and haven't had time to tax my computer a whole lot yet. I did run the memory testing program Corsair provides with the two new sticks in place and received no errors after two passes. I still plan on running an "all night test," but haven't had time to do so yet. It appears at this point that the new memory completely solved the problem. I appreciate the quick and professional attention to this matter.

As a sidenote, I shipped the defective sticks back to Corsair yesterday via USPS Priority Mail, confirmation number 0103 8555 7496 6243 8767.

I ran the memory test program provided by Corsair last night for about 24 passes with no errors detected. Looks like it's a go!

Oh, and I did actually email the delivery confirmation number to that email address directly after I posted the information here. Just covering all my bases... :)

Thanks again - I'm already noticing some marked improvements in my computer use and have gone longer without a BSOD than I have in the past year. (!) I really have high hopes for this switch out now.

Archived