Corsair Community

CORSAIR XMS 1GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) Problem

Decendent

I have a ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Motherboard, running a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor, and Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR400 1gig ram, I go to put it on DDR 400 mode and I get the Blue Screen of Death alot. What am I doing wrong? My DRAM Voltage only has Auto, Normal, and High so I do not know what one to set it at.

I would really like to be able to set my ram at 200mhz, but as it is I can only set it at 166mhz. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Also forgot to mention my Motherboard supports dual channeling, it has dual channel going also.

I tested it a couple days ago, came back no errors, but then I tested it lastnight and I changed some of the test up, took it off BIOS-Std only to some other test. It came back with 77 errors before I even was through with the first test.

So I took it off DDR400 mode and did it on DDR333 mode and it did the same thing. Does this mean my RAM is bad or that I had it on the wrong test?

Thanks for the help so far, greatly appreciated.

My CPU runs at 1.8 Ghz(not OC'ed). I have Cool'n'Quiet enabled so it will drop to 1Ghz till I load something or runs a program. The memory is set on all Auto. It runs at DDR333(133Mhz).

I have SATAII Enabled on my motherboard, It has a Western Digital 160gig HDD on it, running on SATAII on Strong setting. My graphics card is on AGP8x,

Fast Write Enabled.

Other than that everything is on Auto. If you need more info please let me know.

Thanks again.

I did a Bios default/optimal reset, then put the ram at high voltage, it had no errors on default testing.

What should I set my RAM settings on?

SDRAM Latency: 2, 2.5, 3

SDRAM TRCD: 2CLK, 3CLK, 4CLK and it goes on to I think like 6

SDRAM TRP: 2CLK, 3CLK, 4CLK and it goes on to I think like 6

SDRAM TRAS: 5CLK, 6CLK, 7CLK and so on.

SDRAM Interleave: AUTO, Disable

SDRAM Beats: 2Beats, 4Beats, 8Beats

MA Timing: 1T, 2T, Auto

Thanks again for the help so far.

I put the Ram at those settings, so far so good at DDR400. It seems to be running well at the moment. I am just hoping it stays that way. If not I will be back to seek more advice on what to do or to see if I should RMA it.

couple quick questions, may sound stupid, but what is the difference in DDR333 and DDR400 besides running at 166Mhz and 200Mhz? Also what advantage to dual channel memory mode compared to single channel mode?

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I got a new graphics card in, thought maybe that is what was causing the BSoD, but it wasnt. I still get the BSoD while trying to run my RAM in DDR400 mode. I did everything you said, I changed all the settings manually instead of letting the bios change them, I still crashes.

Does this mean my memory is bad? Or could it be something else? My motherboard seems to work fine, I wouldnt think it would be that.

Anymore advice you could give would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• Corsair Employees
Command Rate is not really a memory setting and is more dependent on the CPU,MB, and PSU. However I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that. But from what you have posted I would suspect some other issue is holding you back.

Well lastnight I got to messing around in my bios with my CPU frequency's (CPU PCIE or something like that was at 210 or 220, and then CPU ASYC was at 105 or 110 something like that). I Oced it to 2Ghz, and suprisingly it never missed a lick,didnt BSOD me at all.

I had timings of 2.5, 3-3-6-1T then I set my advanced timings to Read preamble to 6.0ns and my Asyc to 5.0ns, and DDR400 mode. Then I loaded it up didnt have a bit of trouble, loaded Sandra 2004 and put my computer through hell basically, I ran memory benchmark after memory benchmark, I ran every benchmark test it had. Never not once did it BSoD on me.

Now my CPU (AMD Athlon 64 3000+) isnt supposed to be OC'ed over 1.8Ghz, its normal running command. but I still OC'ed it. It was stable.

I dont know why it wouldnt BSoD me at those speeds, Passed all the benchmarks easy, but still confuses me. Because this morning I lowered everything back down to auto and DDR333 so my wife wouldnt have any problem with it, but then it BSoD her, froze like 8 times, so she gave up on it, I come home changed modems and looked at bios and it is running fine now.

Could this all be from my modem driver or maybe its USB port(Currently running on a Serial cable). It is a Actiontec 56k External Modem.

I dont think it is my ram at all, I ordered another MB, thinking maybe it is that. If it runs fine on the other MB, I will RMA this one.

Any more suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

I will set it back to the settings I had it at and see how long it stays stable for, I updated my bios, should I return them to their previous state? They are at 1.20 was 1.10, only thing it added was easy step up for OC'ing and something for clocking ram, I think that was Advanced DRAM Settings.

I only have 2 Modules, Both 2x512. TwinX. If it is the Bios I am hoping this new MB fixes it. It is a ASUS.

Thanks again for the help, greatly appreciated.

Oh, sorry, I should of clearfied a little more on the ASUS, that will be my new MB, it has Award bios, here is the link http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=382&l1=3&l2=15&l3=0

I set my settings back to the way I had it lastnight and it seems to run stable at 2Ghz with DDR400 running smooth.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Archived