Corsair Community

2 Gbyte TwinX (2x1024) PC3200 Cas2 + Abit Av8

flyingbig

ran 2x512 sticks at dual speed at CAS2 for 5 months with no problems now i have sold that ram i have upgraded to 2x1gig sticks of the same spec (corsair pc3200 cas2) and i tried memtest straight away, without mucking about with my ram timings, and i can't run the full test without getting errors though if i change the CAS to 2.5 i can run the test with no errors. Is my ram faulty? It is designed to run at CAS2 but cannot do it yet my older ram ran at CAS2 with no problems at all.

I put the voltage up to 2.7 and still got errors. My timings at the moment are:

2 <---- CAS

3 <---- RAS to CAS

8 <---- i beleive this doesn't matter and is Min RAS Active

3 <---- RAS Precharge

11 <--- Row Cycle Time

These were the settings i used with my old ram on the same notherboard using the same bios. I am snookered, anyone have any advice?

You think i should change the sticks to other slots? Even running at CAS 2.5 i have had 2 crashes in games that i have never experienced a crash in before. You can just tell when something is not right. I have an Abit ax8 which will be in my new PC so i hope it solves some of the issues i am having and if not i will update to the latest bios. Fact remains that i feel this ram is faulty.

I keep getting errors in memtest unless i lower cas to 2.5 but although it passes the test a game that has never crashed on me before crashed to the desktop so i am very suspect about my setup atm.

This was from your other post.

If the sticks are passing Memtest then perhaps there is another problem.

Have you tried uping the Dimm Voltage to 2.8?

Did you try clearing the CMOS or updating your BIOS?

As far as the game goes.

Are all your drivers up to date?

Also is there any patches or updates that may be out?

This was from your other post.

If the sticks are passing Memtest then perhaps there is another problem.

Have you tried uping the Dimm Voltage to 2.8?

Did you try clearing the CMOS or updating your BIOS?

As far as the game goes.

Are all your drivers up to date?

Also is there any patches or updates that may be out?

I tried v2.8 to no avail. rfactor was one game that crashed to the desktop for no reason at all, i wasn't even playing the game at the time instead it was running while i was watching tv, secondly is a rather simple demo of Pro evo 5 which playing today crashed twice both times i ended up with a black screen and nothing would respond. Very very odd and both NEVER happened on my old set with the old 2x512 sticks of the same spec with the same mobo bios, graphics cards drivers and via drivers , this is what i cannot understand and it boggles the mind that ram of the same spec cannot run in my computer stable and this is at cas 2.5, i dare to try at cas2 after the number of errors that were threw up in memtest. I will try updating the bios to the very latest version. I have never attempted to clear the bios but i will try if you think it really might fix this problem, would that require a reformat and reinstall of windows if i clear the cmos?

Won't affect your HDD at all.

Ok, instead of clearing the cmos i updated the bios of my motherboard which in turn clears the cmos anyway. There is no improvement, i still get errors running @ cas2 in memtest and @ cas 2.5 although no errors in memtest the computer seems slightly unstable to me due to a few crashes in game.

I have two identical spec corsair 2x512 sticks bought a week ago and put them in instead of the 2x1024 and i kept the cas @ 2 and i completed the memtest with no errors so is it just me or does that confirm that my 2x1024 must be faulty and i should return for replacement?

Could i ask for a quicker response as i would like to sort this issue out as i have just built a new computer and have found out the graphics card is busted so i now have no computer at all and you could say everything has went pete tong on me. I now have a broken graphics card and potentially a corrupt ram stick and it looks like i am going to be without a computer for up to a week. Sorry for being impatient but i am not happy at the moment :mad:

• Corsair Employees

First thing, our hours are 8:30AM to 5:30PM Monday Thru Friday Pacific Time.

Your first post was over the weekend, and was replied to by some of the forum helpers that are here from the forum helping out of the goodness of their hart not from Corsair.

If you make changes to your system you should go to bios setup and load setup/optimized defaults and then set the timings and voltage manually for the specific part# you have, even if the new parts and memory are the exact same timings and or settings. Please re-set your bios and start with that then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failling

First thing, our hours are 8:30AM to 5:30PM Monday Thru Friday Pacific Time.

Your first post was over the weekend, and was replied to by some of the forum helpers that are here from the forum helping out of the goodness of their hart not from Corsair.

If you make changes to your system you should go to bios setup and load setup/optimized defaults and then set the timings and voltage manually for the specific part# you have, even if the new parts and memory are the exact same timings and or settings. Please re-set your bios and start with that then test the modules one ata time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failling

Thank you so much for the response, that was the quick response i was looking and sorry if i came across as an idiot but you would have to understand the mood i am in at the moment. As mentioned before i flashed the bios to the latest version so the bios was reset and it didn't fix my errors but i will try one stick at a time once i resolve my graphics card issue as i have no working PC at the moment (this is my dads 2 year old pc i am typing from). I am going to splash out on a card and get it delivered within 48 hours so i will get back to you as soon as is possible. Thanks again as i feel i am getting somewhere now :D:

can you make a screenshot of the current ramtimings in the bios mate, did you try 2T command ?

I thought 2T was for when i had used more that two slots, anyway computer is down atm but i would be happy to take a screenshot of the bios if you tell me how and when my computer is up and running on Wednesday and i am testing these ram sticks out properely.

Ok now i have a different motherboard, albeit the same make (abit ax8 instead of the av8), and with everything set to auto in the bios the games seem to work without crashing but i changed the cas to 2.5 and getting down to some serious gameplaying i put on the days of defeat using the source engine, now i have probably used this game engine for a year without ever crashing yet within 10 mins i had a lock up and i had to reset the computer so now i have everything set back to auto which basically means letting the motherboard set the ram to cas 3.0. I tried both sticks on their own with no errors at all on memtest and i believe i had cas set to 2.0 with everything set to auto, if i do teh same with both sticks in a get errors. Really down about this as i have a very fast graphics card yet i cannot use it to its full abilty as i am crashing every other hour. I need help.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

2.5,3,3,6 seems to have done the job also i put the voltage up to 2.7. I have no errors and i have run Prime95 for 7-8 hours so can i safely say that any instabilty i have has nothing to do with ram or can the ram still intefere in some way? I am going to test some more as i understand it is the weekend and you are off enjoying yourself but while you do that i will put my games through the stress test :)

Just to follow up for anyone who cared i have been pretty much successful and although i havd one or two crashes after extended play (over 2 hours) of BF2 i am tending to blame my new 7800gtx which is overclocked out of the box and my new case is maybe style over quality and is maybe not cooling as well as it should, compare that with my abnormally hot room and it could cus an overheat. Thanks for the help guys and i hope someone finds those ram timings useful as i now have as stable a PC as i could have hoped.

What PSU are you using?

Tagen 550 watt.

UPDATE: Ok using this ram with my old pc i was playing pro evolution 5 demo and the screen was going black all of a sudden and it was unrecoverable so i had to reset not this happened alot after this having played the demo with my old ram with no problems. Now i have recently updated my motherboard and graphics card and i am getting the same crashes and this ram is the only thing i have brought across including the PSU and processor. Surfing the pro evolution forums there is no mention of ppl experiencing a similar crash (black screen) so this has begun to worry me somewhat. I'll experiment abit further and report back if i find anything.

Let's try replacing them. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Appreciate that, let me get my new fan on my graphics card to rule out overheating as i want to make sure i am not wasting your time. I sold my old corsair ram that ran solid for soo long but i may try and get it back for testing purposes although this is unlikely as i don't know the guy but i can still contact him.

P.S. Just out of interest what is the best motherboard for Corsair ram that is guaranted to run flawlessly at the recommended ram timings.

• 2 months later...
Ok just to resurrect this post from the dead as i have new issues with BSODs and games crashing to desktop. I immediately tested Prime95 and it lasted 4 hours then i got an error so i took one stick of ram out leaving just one stick in and i ran Prime95 for 12 hours with no errors so i then took that stick out and put the other stick in thinking that this was the bad ram i was looking for but i have ran it 10 hours with no errors so far. I am gona leave it for another 2 hours then put both sticks in again and run a test to see how long it lasts before i get an error. If i get an error again with both sticks in can you advise me if this is a ram issue or a motherboard/cpu issue that is stopping me from running with both sticks in trouble free. I used 2 gig for 2-3 months before my PC started to crash and do all sorts of funny things.

Archived