Corsair Community

Two bad VS512MB400 parts

CodeOptimist

Hello,

I submitted an RMA request about two months ago regarding a bad stick of VS512MB400 (part of a 1GB kit). At the time, the other VS512MB400 stick from the kit was working fine - however, just as the replacement part came in, the other one started showing errors under memtest86 (something like 90000+ in one pass). I've delayed in submitting a new RMA request, because the replacement 512MB stick from the first RMA was working fine, and I hadn't gotten around to it.

To make a long story short, the original replacement part is now looking bad as well. :(: I got a random BSoD this morning and ran memtest to rule out bad RAM - got about 2400 errors in the first pass; ouch.

So, basically, I'm requesting an RMA for two sticks of VS512MB400 (or one VS1GBKIT part, depending on how you want to look at it ;):).

Thanks,

Nathanael

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Sure thing. There aren't too many available on my motherboard, but here is what is set right now ("Optimized Defaults" BIOS setting):

FSB Frequency: 133

DRAM Frequency: 133

DRAM Clock: By SPD

DRAM Timing: By SPD

DRAM Command Rate: 2T Command

These options are not editable because 'DRAM Timing' is set to 'By SPD':

DRAM CAS Latency: 2.5

Bank Interleave: Disabled

Precharge-to-active (Trp): 3T

Active-to-precharge (Tras): 6T

Active-to-CMD (Trcd): 3T

These are some other options in another page of settings:

Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk: Enabled

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Host/PCI Clock: 133/33MHz

I am still receiving errors in memtest86.

• Corsair Employees

Please try these setting and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and please check that you have the latest bios from the MB maker.

FSB Frequency: 133

Memory Voltage 2.7 Volts

DRAM Frequency: 133

DRAM Clock: 133/1-1/100%

DRAM Timing:User Define/Manual

DRAM Command Rate: 2T Command

DRAM CAS Latency: 2.5

Bank Interleave: Disabled

Precharge-to-active (Trp): 3T

Active-to-precharge (Tras): 7T

Active-to-CMD (Trcd): 3T

These are some other options in another page of settings:

Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk: Enabled

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Host/PCI Clock: 133/33MHz

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for the delayed reply. My motherboard, apparently, doesn't support setting the Tras to 7T. I made sure all the other settings matched yours and tried again. I'm not getting thousands of errors as I have in the past, but I'm still getting anywhere between 20 and 100 errors on one stick. Is this indicative of a seperate problem?

• Corsair Employees

Does one stick run with no errors and the other one is causing errors? If yes let's get them replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

If you are getting errors with both modules I would test the modules in another system to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still alive - sorry again for the delayed reply. I finally tested the memory, and it appears that only one stick is bad.

I opened up the RMA request form, and saw this:

All TwinX or VS Kits of matched memory pairs must be returned in pairs.

Does this mean I should RMA both of my sticks, since they came in a kit?

Archived