Corsair Community

Can't get into BIOS

magnumpraw

I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out a hardware problem and am 100% sure I traced it to my RAM module.

2 days ago I started experiencing spontaneous reboots or system freezes when moving large files or operating memory intensive programs. I thought at first it was a software problem and did a complete wipe/reinstall of WinXP. When that didn't solve the problem, I stripped my computer down to MB, HD, VGA, and RAM. Still was having the same problems and each time the comp restarted, the BIOS wouldn't post till I turned it off and unplugged for 20min.

Because the BIOS wouldn't post each time and I wasn't getting beeps signaling RAM problems, I thought at first it was the MB. Today, the problems were worse until I couldn't get the BIOS to post even after unplugging and popping the battery out to reset CMOS. I remembered that the only two things I hadn't tried swapping out for units that I knew worked in other machines were my RAM and my PCI-E vid. card.

I couldn't swap my VGA card because all my others were AGP, but I had the exact memory type--just 1GB instead of 2GB (TwinX 1024-3200C2PT) in another computer. I swapped the sticks out and Wallah! things worked smooth. I put the old ones back in--no post. I put the new ones in again and things work great!

If this is not a bad set of RAM, please let me know but I'm pretty sure that memory is the problem. If it's not I can't get to the BIOS anyway to change things with the 2GB pair.

Thanks

--Patrick

• Corsair Employees

You should not mix 512 Meg and 1.0 Gig modules. Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I'm not mixing the two types. I was using my 2 512 sticks to make sure it was a RAM problem. I put the 2 512 sticks in, the comp works. I put the 2 1GB sticks in, it won't post. One of the 1GB sticks will work, but the other doesn't.

I will f ollow your link.

Thanks

Archived