Corsair Community

TWINXP1024-3200C2 OC Help

wrecked_mind

I have just bought a pair of Corsairs XPERT memory modules (512MB each).

Im new to overclocking, yet i still want to get the optimal performance out of my system. Theres where memory overclocking comes in, Ive read a lot but I can't really figure what settings would be good for me and my Mobo.

I'd like to increase the MHz of the DDR modules, and I understand this is only possible through increasing the FSB which also affect the CPU speed.

I currently run on timings: 2-3-3-6 with agressive timing enabled and at 2,75V. I read in this forum that I have to higher the timing if I want to increase the FSB.

Can anyone give me some help here?

I'd like to increase the MHz of the DDR modules, and I understand this is only possible through increasing the FSB which also affect the CPU speed.

Not really true but this is the most stable way.

The CPU's FSB should be equal to the RAM's Frequency.

I currently run on timings: 2-3-3-6 with agressive timing enabled and at 2,75V. I read in this forum that I have to higher the timing if I want to increase the FSB.

Can anyone give me some help here?

This is something that you will have to experiment with.

For example; if you wanted to up the frequency to 210MHz (420Mhz)

you would probably set the timings to 3-3-3-6 or 3-3-3-8.

More realaxed timings like 3-4-4-8 may give you more headroom.

A Dimm voltage of 2.8 may help also.

So, what other ways are there. If I don't want to increase the FSB?

I've tried alot, but all I get is less performance. From what I've heard the MSI K8N NEO 2 Motherboard is bad at overclocking since the performance is worse than original when trying to tweak the settings in BIOS.

I tried lowering the RAM speed to 166MHz timings 3-4-4-8 2,8V, HT Freq to 3x, CPU mult. 9x FSB 250MHz and Vcore 1,5V.

There was no performance increase.

So it would be highly appreciated if there was any RAM OC Utility since FSB change simply wont do it.

And by the way, when it comes to gaming like BF2, in the video options I can only select 1024x768@75Hz max. Dont get it, is it because of my CPU AMD 64 3500+ or what? My other Intel 3,0GHz with ATI 9600XT 512Mb Ram can run at 1600x1200 (though very laggy). This is annoying since I've just picked up both Corsair memory and a GeForce 6800Ultra.

I tried lowering the RAM speed to 166MHz timings 3-4-4-8 2,8V,

Well that's underclocking. The RAM would only be at 333MHz.

At 3-4-4-8 you might be able to get the RAM at 210MHz(BIOS) 420 (actual).

The C2's will only be able to be pushed so far.

They made more for stability than OC'ing.

All the BIOS options for changing the CPU and RAM settings are listed in

the MOBO Manual.

Do you have the DigiCell software? You can OC your CPU without having to go

into the BIOS.

The reason I underclocked the RAM was because I read somewhere that I would have to to this in order to change increase FSB and set HT freq to 3x, CPU mult. to 9x, with these settings I would be able to increase the FSB up to 250Mhz which I did and it worked. With no performance impact though.

Are you sure the C2:s are not made for more OC, since I ran them fine on 440MHz just by increasing the FSB which also had effect on the CPU which was OC:d aswell. Didnt increase performance.

I have CoreCell, where I can increase voltage for AGP, Vcore, RAM and FSB. How about DigiCell?, never bothered to install it

Are you sure the C2:s are not made for more OC, since I ran them fine on 440MHz just by increasing the FSB which also had effect on the CPU which was OC:d aswell. Didnt increase performance.

210MHz was just an example. It really depends on the IC's used.

440MHz is a decent OC.

As far as performance increase goes. Are you looking for Benchmark differences

or real noticable differences.

Physically seeing a difference from OC'ing may be slim to none.

DigiCell contains Core Center which allows you to OC in a Windows environment.

Maybe were talking about the same thing.

I've OC'd my system before and did'nt notice any difference.

Went right back to stock.

I'm mainly after benchmark testing improvement, but a little push up in gaming environment wouldnt be that bad either.

Maybe I'll be satisfied with the stock clock, Its just that. The reason for my overclocking is because of Battlefield 2. You're supposed to be able to set resolution to 1280x1024 up to 1600x1200 or whatever your max screen resolution is. Though I can only set mine to 1024x768@75Hz.

I've sent a mail to Sweclockers.com, a swedish site with great knowledge in overclocking and modding.

Do you have any idea of what could be the problem? So far I believe its either the mobo or the CPU which causes this.

I made this assumption after moving my video card to another PC where I could run everything on max without lag. It was a P4 3,0GHz 512k on a Fujitsu siemens mobo with the Intel Springdale i865 PE chipset. Maybe this is hocus-pocus to you? for me, it certainly doesn't make any sense. I mean is MSI NEO 2 crap ?

Oh by the way, I almost forgot. Would it function if I set Command Rate to 1T? If not, why?

You're supposed to be able to set resolution to 1280x1024 up to 1600x1200 or whatever your max screen resolution is. Though I can only set mine to 1024x768@75Hz.

This really has alot to do with the Moniter itself.

My Monitor (Viewsonic E90fb) is set to 1024x768 @ 100Hz.

This is my Desktop setting and what I play games with.

As far as the Command Rate, 1T is better.

But this is a MOBO/BIOS issue. The command rate isn't part of the RAM's

programmed SPD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived