Corsair Community

K8T Neo2-FIR + XMS3200 V1.1

Master PooBaa

Hullo. Having terrible trouble with my new motherboard and ram. Ill try to keep it consise.

Mobo is K8T Neo2-FIR (K8T800Pro) with latest 9.2 bios.

CPU is a X2 3800+

PSU a coolermaster 550W.

Ram is TwinX XMS3200 CMX512-3200LL (400Mhz 2226-T1) (XMS3206v1.1)

Populating slots 1&3 as suggested in the motherboard manual.

It started with the 9.1 bios... whenever i would access the mem timings in the bios it would freeze on reboot and monitor would switch off.

Only way to restore would be to use the clear CMOS jumper.

Ram speed was defaulting to 200mhz 2,2,2,6,2T, which i found through MEMTEST86 that i needed a full 2.7v in order for the ram to run error free.

I tried updating the bios to 9.2 which seemed to work ok for a little, i was able to play with timings a bit and found that Cas3 was cauzing the system to freeze on reboot.

Then suddenly it went to crap. just wouldnt boot, clearning CMOS didnt help, using bios restore floppy didnt either... yet removing one of the sticks DID allow it to boot sucessfully and i restored the bios settings to default.

Yet next time i played with the ram settings it did it again... this time only with 1 bank populated.

Now the system wont respond to everything.

According to the 4 diagonstic LEDS on the "Dbracket" the system halts at "Boot attempt - This will set low stack and boot via INT 19h"

why o why am i having so many troubles???

• Corsair Employees

Please try and set the timings manually and set the memory voltage to:

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

I tried 2.7v, 2,3,2,6 with one stick of ram, then the other, then both with no problems.

Infact i can memtest for yonks (scientific term = 1hour+) with the hardest timings i can give it,

Both sticks in 1&3, 200Mhz, 2.7v, 2,2,2,5-1T

yet from time to time it will still freeze on reboot after fiddling with memory timings, with a cmos reset the only way to recover. most odd.

• Corsair Employees
If you are going to run them at that tight of a setting you should set the memory voltage to 2.85 Volts. But if they will run and be stable at Cass 2-3-2-6 with the TRCD set to "3" then I would just leave them at that setting.

Yesterday i found an interesting error/correction regarding memory timings on my motherboard.

The motherboard manual clearly states that for 2 stick dual channel operation the ramsticks should be in either slots 1&3 or 2&4 (slot 4 closest to cpu).

But the official MSI website documentation says only slots 2&4 should be used.

So last night i moved my ram to slots 2&4, then tested the buggery out of it using memtest 3.2

:laughing:

200Mhz, 2,2,2,5-1T @ 2.7v for 8hours+, 28 complete passes, zero errors.

seems to be working fine, so long as i dont fiddle with the bios much.

Then again... its possible i speak too soon.

Memtest passed 8 hours 28 odd passes without an error.

BUT running 2 instances of prime95, one dedicated to a single core, i found them crashing out after about an hour or so. immediately restarting them cauzed them to recrash sooner.

Both prime95 jobs would crash, indicating neither core was 'bad' as such.

X2 3800+CPU is still on default speed, 1.4v, 2000Mhz.

BUT when i re-ran the prime95 jobs with minimum FFT sizes they dont crash!

The difference being small FFT sizes are very small, fit mostly in the L2 cache, and there is minimal memory accessing.

Are you sure that 2.85v is ok for this ram... seems a bit high to me?

Im going to try that, along with some other tweakage to see if i can get the prime95 crashes eliminated.

(Such as changing 1T to 2T command rate, TRCD3, or possibly slow ram speed)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes another question :)

After having finally worked out a few motherboard glitches, im now running the X2 3800+ (2Ghz) at 2.4Ghz, with the ram set to 5:6 ratio and 200Mhz.

(2 x XMS3205v1.1 @ 200Mhz, 2,2,2,5,1T 2.8v)

Everything is very peachy and stable.

Question is, if i want a higher fsb & higher OC, im going to have to make the ram MUCH slower with the 2:3 divider, or increase ram speed above 200Mhz.

Any historical data on what Mhz the v1.1 sticks can do (approx) before i have to back off on the tight timings?

And if i DO have to back off on the timings, which timing should i back off first - Cas, burst length, bank interleaving, Trcd, Tras, Trp or 1T timing?

im hoping i can do 2500Mhz/250fsb - with a ram speed of 208Mhz.

• Corsair Employees

You should be able to get 208mhz out of these modules. Please keep in mind though that if you cannot get the RAM to reach the speed you desire that you can loosen the memory timings a bit and most likely get more speed out of them. If you are running at 2-2-2-5 right now possibly changing to 2.5-3-3-6 would give you more head room while over clocking.

Let us know if you have more questions!

Mr ram you you of course are correct :):

200Mhz 2,2,2,5,1T was stable at 2.80v

205Mhz also stable at 2.80v

210Mhz needed 2.85v for flawless operation and

215Mhz was just a bit much for it... Its possible it could be stable at 2.9v, but the motherboard limits me to 2.85v.

So at least i CAN do 2500Mhz, 250FSB, 1000HTT & ram set to

5:6 @ 208.3Mhz :) Nice and slick beast.

Now just for interest sake ill try 2.5,3,3,6,2T and see if i can get anywhere near 250Mhz with the ram ratio set to 1:1...

And ill use superpi to 8M decimal places as a quick benchmark to see how it performs in comparison to 208mhz with hard timings. :cool:

Archived