Corsair Community

Need Guidance. Two bad strips

Jim in Cincy

Hi RAM Guy.

Boy am I glad I found this website this morning. I really need your help. I have been having all types of problems trying to get an ATi HDTV card to work in my system. I tested my RAM using memtest86 and it found thousands of errors on one of the strips, and about a half dozen on the other.

I got the RAM from newegg.com and it is DDR CRSR 512MB X2 KIT|VS1GBKIT400.

My MOBO is an ECS PT800CE (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=22&LanID=9&DetailID=423&DetailName=Specification).

What settings do you advise me to use?

Thank you very much.

• Corsair Employees
Getting errors on both modules would suggest some other problem, and I would test the modules in another system if you can. Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte)
I just went through all of the BIOS settings. I can't find where to set the Dim Voltage. Please help.

then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, if you have Value Select "BY SPD"
The RAM is Value Select and it is set "By SPD".

I would see if a friend can maybe help you test them in another system.
Over the weekend I switched everything over to a new MOBO (Mach Speed mATX PM9MS). I booted up with Memtest86 in the CD-ROM and in about a minute the system froze. Up to that point (71% of the 3rd pass) no errors were reported.

So, maybe replacing the MOBO is the answer but now I need to find out why the system is freezing. Inadequate PSU? Or temperature? Or incompatability with the RAM??

• Corsair Employees
Well if the system is locking up in memtest that would suggest some other hardware problem. But I would suggest testing the memory and CPU in a known working system if you can. You can follow the link in my signature "What are the correct timings for My Module?" and get a list of MB's we use to validate the modules.

Archived