Corsair Community

Possible Bad/Incompatible Stick of RAM

Hellfire99X

I had purchased a stick of Corsair XMS3200REv3.1 (1024MB) in March of this year, and assembled a new PC using parts purchased through Newegg.com as well as a few parts from my old PC. (Until I bought upgrades to replace nearly all of them, anyway. Current specs are in my profile.) At the time, I was using an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Socket 939 motherboard, and the Corsair memory seemed to be 100% compatible with the board... however, the chipset fan on the board died (a seemingly common problem with ASUS boards nowadays), which caused the Northbridge to overheat and permanently damaged it. (FYI: I don't overclock. These comps are fast enough as it is. :P)

Long story short, I RMA'd the ASUS board, and replaced it with the board currently listed in my profile. (Specifically, an AOpen nCK804Ua-LFS Socket 939.) Just received the board today, plugged everything in, and booted it up, only to hear the dreaded long-continuous beeping that means the RAM is "incorrectly configured". I tried placing the RAM into all four memory slots, with no luck. To try to narrow the list of possible problems, I then borrowed a stick of 256mb Nanya RAM from another computer in the household and plugged it in, and the board POSTed without a hitch.

What strikes me as odd, is the fact that the Corsair memory seemed to have no problems running in the ASUS board... but unfortunately, I no longer have the ASUS board to test it out on, and none of the other computers in the household can read a 1GB stick of RAM. Plus, I've read on various websites that Corsair memory seems to be incompatible with newer motherboards (which influenced my decision to purchase an AOpen motherboard instead of a DFI; that, and I'm not an overclocker)...

So, it's either a RAM-motherboard incompatibility, or a dead stick of RAM. I wish I could narrow it down further. :/ I did attempt to check both Corsair's and AOpen's compatibility lists, but I didn't see my board listed on either site. (Oddly enough, AOpen didn't even have their own board entered in any compatibility lists. >.<) Also, the board is rated to accept Dual Channel DDR400/PC3200 RAM in 256/512/1024 MB sizes, with a supported max of 4GB.

My questions are: Is there a way to verify that it's a RAM-motherboard incompatibility? Has Corsair performed any compatibility tests on this motherboard? And if it's an incompatible stick of RAM, is it possible to RMA it for a compatible stick of RAM? (FYI: I have not yet contacted or attempted to RMA it through Newegg.)

Thanks a lot for your time!

• Corsair Employees
I think that we answered you by email, but the MB's you have listed will not support registered memory and the module in question is Registered ECC. Please talk to your reseller and see if they will let you exchnage the modules for Twinx1024-3200XL with our the "R" or "RE" in the part#.

Okay, I talked to Newegg's customer service on the phone a moment ago, and they told me that the memory is well outside of their 30-day refund policy period (it was purchased on 3/20/2005), so they cannot refund me for the memory... and I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't allow for a simple product exchange through them, either.

Instead, they referred me back to you (even though I told them that I had originally contacted you first and that you had referred me to them) and told me to see if I could get it exchanged through you guys.

So, would it be at all possible to exchange the memory in question for a non-ECC, but otherwise identical stick of 1GB RAM through Corsair?

Thanks again for your help! I'm sorry for the trouble. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry to bump you back and forth, but I am not the person that you would need to talk to. Please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" and I am sure they will do their best to help you get this resolved.

Archived