Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200XLPRO XMS3200 1024MB Instability

Monsoon

Hi!

First I wanted to say that this forum is an excellent tool for customers of Corsair. It is above and beyond what many other performance part makers do for their customers and I appreciate the effort put forth here!

Second, I have an issue with my TWINX1024-3200XLPRO memory kit. I purchased it online from MonarchComputer.com almost a year and a half ago. My system is for the most part stable and doesn't crash from Windows. My issue occurs when playing a 3D video game, Dungeon Siege actually. I have been getting more and more frequent exception errors when playing. I have swapped out the CPU and the video card to no effect. I went back to my old generic PC2700 pair of 512 MB sticks and the issue went away. After doing a search on the internet I found this forum and read previous responses and downloaded Memtest86+. After reinstalling the Corsair RAM I ran that test from a floppy disk last night for about 35 minutes and had four errors before shutting it down. I took some digital pictures of the display but don't have them with me at the moment and can post them later if they would be useful. My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-E and I had the memory set up to SPD. I have tried the DDR voltage at each setting of 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8V with the same issues. The memory at SPD is clocked at 2-2-2-5 and is at 200 MHz.

If there are further steps to take prior to going forward with a RMA, please advise. By the way, I do have the latest BIOS installed in my motherboard.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

Monsoon

Please use the ASUS Bios 1.013 or newer and then, please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.0T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

If you get errors please test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing, and if this passes you can set the TRCD to "3" and test the system.

I have had 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done to solve problems with aggressive memory, no matters who's I tested. In addition, a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well. I would take a look at http://www.asusforums.org as well in the AMD section.

RAM GUY,

Thanks for the quick response. Please answer a few questions.

In regards to the FSB jumper; what is the reason for that setting? According to the Asus manual it should be set on 1-2 for a 400MHz FSB which corresponds to the 3200 AthlonXP CPU. I have read that this setting raises the reference voltage by 0.5 VDC. Is that the reason? If so then the goal seems to be to raise the DIMM voltage to the max possible when used in combination with the 2.8 setting it will actually be at 2.85VDC. Is there any danger of damage to my system beyond the RAM such as the DIMM slot(s) on the motherboard? Does this risk the warranty to my RAM? Are you an authorized Corsair representative that can make that call?

Next in regards to the DIMM slots, they are not numbered the way you describe in the manual. Are you counting away from the CPU? According to the manual the first slot away from the CPU is A2 the second being A1 and the third is B1. So is a combination of A1 and B1 what you are recommending?

Thanks for your help!

• Corsair Employees

Monsoon,

First thing: Yes I am a direct Corsair Employee.

Second: All of our DDR1 modules are warranted up to 2.9 Volts.

Third: Yes that’s correct the CPU_FSB adds .5 Volts to the chipset.

Forth: With the memory slot closest to the CPU being slot 1 AKA A2 then the counting away the slot furthest away would be slot 3. AKA B1. When running 2 modules its best to use slots A1 AKA slot 2 and slot B1 AKA slot 3.

I have had 4 of these MB's and in fact I still have one and this is what I had to do to make them run with a 3200+ CPU. No matter what memory I used.

So please try these settings and if you still get errors please test the modules one at a time.

Archived