Corsair Community

Mix memory mfg?

StaticShock

Hello everyone. I'm new to this board and would like to ask a question. My machine currently has two sticks of XXXXXX 512 memory in dual channel. I cut and pasted what I have below from neweggs site where I purchased it. I want to know if I purchase the Corsair I posted below it would work ok in the remaining two slots I have along with this XXXXXX. Thanks!

# XXXXXX 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model CT6464Z40B - OEM

(limit 20 per customer)

Cas Latency: 3

Heat Spreader: No

Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime

Voltage: 2.6V

# Model #: CT6464Z40B

# Item #: N82E16820146532

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail

* Model #: VS512MB400

* Item #: N82E16820145026

thanks again,

***EDIT*** hmmm ... tough to ask the question if ya won't let me say KRUSAL, but perhaps you can help anyway.

Running four modules that are exactly the same can be a challenge, running mixed sets even worse and is never reccommended. Unfortunately, there's no way for anybody to say if it would or would not run together, but it probably would not.

If you wanted two gigabytes of RAM, then a TwinX2048-3200C2 kit or two VS1GB400C3 modules would be the best way to go, rather than trying for 4 x 512 of mixed/matched memory.

PLUR

CK

p.s. It doesn't matter what manufacturer makes your other modules, the issue remains the same.

Thank you for the speedy reply. Actually I was trying to find the cheapest way out by still using what I had. I happened to see the corsair for sale on newegg and thought that for under a 100 dollars I may be able to add another gig of dual channel. I play with video editing and, although it works fine with one gig, thought if I could cheaply upgrade, I'd give it a shot.

thanks!

Archived