Corsair Community

MemTest has found a problem

ILikeFood

My computer started randomly freezing a few months ago; sometimes within minutes of booting, other times after days. It wasn't a heat problem (I have 11 fans, and several temperature gauges), so I downloaded and ran MemTest32. No matter how I configure my RAM (two Corsair CMX512-3200LLPRO) I consistently get two errors: one at 509.3MB (0x0001fd36400) and the other at 649.3MB (0x000289b6460).

I have run tests starting at full "auto" for BIOS settings with "turbo" off, all the way down to DDR200. I have also tried slowing down some the the timings (CAS) but always the same result: the above two errors.

This RAM has performed flawlessly for over a year, and the problem started when nothing had changed in the hardware of the system. Originally I thought it was a XP SP release, but I can't correlate any system changes to the RAM going bad.

Tonight I borrowed some 333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM from a friend at work and MemTest32 ran successfully for hours. I am certain the two RAM modules are bad.

Some other info: I have a MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R (VIA K8T800) motherboard, with an Athlon 64 3000. The RAM was purchased at the same time as the rest of the system: on 1/05/2004 at ZipZoomFly (with some other components on 1/06 at NewEgg.) I have a 500W power supply and ample cooling. I have experimented with overclocking, but only about 7% at the most (215 FSB).

Thanks for any help,

jeff

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200LL Cass 2-3-2-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200LL Cass 2-3-2-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I set the voltage to 2.7, and tested each module individually. The first module failed at 2.0MB (0x000002f1bf8) in under 8 minutes. The failure is repeatable.

The second module (by itself) ran for several hours at 2.7 volts with errors. I then set it back down to the default voltage (probably 2.5) and it ran overnight.

It would appear that just one of my modules is bad.

thanks,

-jeff

Archived