Corsair Community

BAD memory sticks

BryantArrin

I bought two 1 GB (CMSS1GB-400SOD lot#0510003-2) sticks of memory

for my Dell 9100 Inspiron laptop.

I kept getting blue screens. I replaced the memory with the original and sent it back to Dell thinking it was the laptop. They replaced the CPU and returned it saying it was fixed.

I put in the new memory and started having blue screens again. I have gone back and forth with the original memory (512MB) and the Corsair memory. I now know that it is the Corsair memory that is at fault. The Dell CPU probably wasn't even at fault.

Is there any way to trade these sticks in?? They are about 6 months old. My daughter had the laptop at College. She kept crying that the laptop was a lemon and didn't work. I finally told her to bring it home and I would work on it until it was fixed.

So now I have put the original memory back in and it is stable. With the Corsair memory in it, there appears to be a conflict with the ATI driver and the wireless lan. They are the drivers that are mentioned in the blue screens.

• Corsair Employees
Please go to bios setup and load setup defaults and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please go to bios setup and load setup defaults and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I will do that. Thanks. I hadn't thought to test one at a time. I do have memtest on a boot disk so that isn't a problem. I will do it right now. How long should I let memtest run?

I started memtest86+ with one of the orginal sticks of mem (512MB) and one of the corsair 1GB sticks. I immediately got a very large number of errors. The bottom of screen was red with error reports. So I took out the original memory stick and replaced it with the one stick of corsair so that only one stick of corsair was in it. I'm now running the memtest again. It has only been 8 minutes but no errors. HOWEVER, memtest only shows that I have 384MB of memory??????????????? That is a 1 GB stick so I certainly don't get that.

And please test the system with just our modules installed one at a time and check your bios for the option to Load Setup/Optimized Defaults.

Thanks, will do! And I can't tell you how great it is to deal with Corsair. The lifetime warranty is very sweet indeed, but just your whole attitude is so far away above and beyond Dell that there is no comparison. Thanks very much for that. You may rest assured that I will buy only Corsair from now on and I will only recommend Corsair.

Even though I had bought a 3 year warranty (on site) from Dell including a 3 year accident warranty for this Inspiron 9100 laptop, I had to threaten a law suite which I would have gladly followed through on to get them to take the laptop and check it out.

How many passes should memtest do before I believe that the memory is free of errors?????

Thanks

7 hours and 16 passes later still no errors from one of the sticks. So it seems that only one of them is bad. I will let the test run all night and if there are still no errors, I will be satisfied that only one of the two sticks was bad.

What do I do to get the one stick returned and replaced??

Thanks

The good stick has ran 18 hours and 35 min doing 45 passes without an error.

And you were right, the bad stick showed immediate errors.

Okay, I'm happy that only one stick is bad. How do I return/exchange it???

AND also, can I run the 1 GB stick or Corsair with one of the original sticks of 256MB??

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

Yes please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

AND also, can I run the 1 GB stick or Corsair with one of the original sticks of 256MB??

I would not suggest it for best performance, but yes you should be able to.

Archived