Corsair Community

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and Corsair TWINX 3200C2 Compatibility

clandavid7

I would like to check on the compatibility of my motherboard vs. RAM before I upgrade:

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

Current RAM: Corsair TWINX 2048-3200 RT

Looking to upgrade to 4GB of TWINX 3200C2, but want to make sure that there won't be any compatibility issues (i.e. blue screen of death) when I yank out the old RAM and put in the new RAM.

Thanks

Corsair only garauntees one TwinX set at a time on any given system... trying to garauntee four modules isn't feasable because of all the possibilities!

HOWEVER, it can be done, but it's best if you order all four modules at the same time and get the same revisions on both kits. This will increase your chances of them working even though you'll probably be required to increase the DDR Voltage and loosen the latencies (I.E. 2.5-4-4-8).

The only question that's left is WHY do you want 4GB of memory? More isn't always better. With so much loading on the chipset, you may actually lose performance with 4GB's of RAM versus one TwinX set!

FYI, with a non-64 bit setup, Windows XP will not even cache anything over 2GB for programs to use.

PLUR

CK

• Corsair Employees
You are welcome to try 4 modules, but I would not suggest more than one set of modules for best performance. And if you use 4 modules you may have to relax the timings becasue of loading on the memory controller. I would just keep what you have you should be fine!

Thank you for all the great advice to Candykid and the Ram Guru. I was looking to boost my RAM because I have started working a lot with Photoshop CS2 (most of the books that you read on PS CS2 say that there is no such thing as too much RAM).

You two obviously know more about RAM and the inner workings of computers than the authors of these books and I have to respect your advice and opinions on this matter.

By the way, in the future if I decide to buy a new computer, are there some motherboards that would be able to take advantage of more RAM when being used for graphics intensive work?

Thanks for the quick response and your insightful opinions.

Clan

Actually, any board can take advantage of more RAM, the question is whether or not it is actually used. As I said, in a 32-bit application, Windows XP won't cace more than 2GB for program use. Unfortunately, most boards put some limitation on how fast you can run 4GB of memory without it being a server using registered DIMMs.

In 64-bit applications, you can go beyond that, but the application would still need to actually use the memory.

With photoshop, that makes for some very big images or more layers than you can poke a stick at. You should run your program, then load one of the biggest images you can imagine you'll use on a regular basis... hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to bring up the task manager and check how much memory the program is using. Chances are, it's probably less than you think. Then go to the last tab and check how much of your page file is being used... if it's still a fairly low percentage, then you don't need more memory.

PLUR

CK

Archived