Corsair Community

Won't partition

doans

I have a 2gb flash voyager and have been unable to partition the drive using the voyager utility software. I have tried numerous times and always receive the error partition fail! What could be the problem?

The drive appears to function properly except not being able to partition it. I am unsure what to try next. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Are you deleting the exsisting partition before you try and create a new one? And can you format the partition that is on the drive?

I have no problems formating the drive into one partition the entire size of the drive. I then attempt to partition the drive into two seperate partitions and this is where I encounter the error message. Do I have to delete the existing partition before creating a new one? And, if so, how do I do that? Thanks.

I am sorry but yes you will need to delete the existing partition before you create a new one.

Uhh, there is no option to "delete the existing partition" in the corsair flash voyager utility. So, could you explain in more detail the exact process to partition the drive?

This is the steps that I am taking and have taken with every flash drive I've ever owned to partition it.

1. format entire drive

2. click on partition in utility software

3. choose appropriate split of public and password protected partition sizes

4. click ok

5. receive error that partition fails

6. repeat steps 2-5 (multiple times)

I am assuming that when I click on partition in the voyager utility software that the software is sophisticated enough to delete current partition and make multiple partitions on the drive as requested. Is this a bad assumption?

Thanks for your help.

I also have a 2GB USB Flash Voyager drive but I have had no problems using the supplied Corsair Utility to partition the drive. Since you are able to format the USB drive using the Corsair utility I would assume that the drive is FAT formatted when you try to partition the drive correct? I have tried both FAT and FAT32 to try to recreate the problems that you are having and I can not get the failure that you are seeing. What OS are you using? Are you able to install the software on another computer and recreate the problem there as well? Does the error occur only when you try an exact size split or will it happen with any split of the drive?

We will be happy to replace the drive if you cannot resolve the problem. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace it!

I have returned the drive to the retailer that I purchased it from and am awaiting a replacement. Will let you know if I have similar problems with the replacement. Thanks for the help.

Archived