Corsair Community

Bad Memory - In need of dire help

tonysak

Hello. I'm sure I'm like everyone else in here that needs help. I truly do. I have just built my first computer....4 months ago.

Most of my specs I put in at my registration. So I believe it's in my profile.

I am currently using 2 CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail

I had a friend look over all the parts I was going to put into my system to amke sure they would be compatabile. I don't believe however this is a compatiability issue.

At first, everything seemed fine. A freezing of the computer happened every once in a while and I figured it was drivers.

I built this for college and I had it running on a Gateway monitor, probably 6 year old 19" screen. Ran fine....

Brought it to school, stuck it on my 2 year old dell lcd screen. Than everything went haywire. That must sound retarded to think a monitor caused problems, so I went and bought a new lcd screen to test it, same problem, returned the monitor.

I was told to run memtest. So I took out 1 stick and left 1 stick in. Ran memtest for about 6..7 hours, no errors on the chip. Left the one chip in for a while and still froze and rebooted.

Than, I contacted my mobo and vid card tech support...atleast 20..30 times.. 6..7 hours of tech support wait time and stuff. Sent the video card in for an RMA and it appeared my vid card was faulty.

Now I received my vid card back and still froze, but than it corrupted my system file, repaired windows and now it seems operational...but to my surprise.. a new error has occured...

I thought my memory was fine, one stick could be defective because i memteted only 1. but now it just freezes, instead fo reboots, and now it reboots to a black screen with a physical memory dump and the error

"Machine_Check_Exception"

I would just perfer some options on trying to get this to work. I do believe i deveolped an ulcer cause of this computer. I am only 20, and thinking I saved $1000 on building this thing, but i'm causing myself aggrivation and stress.

If you believe my memory is corrupt, I will file an RMA, and have it tested, I have had my mobo, processor, and vid card replaced already.. My memory I guess won't be a problem. I just want this to work. I'm not sure who to take it to, to get it tested or whatever. All I have by me is a best buy and circuit city and comp usa. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

What's the part # of your memory?

BTW, Ram Guy won't be back till Monday.

Best suggestion: set memory timings like so, and then test one stick at a time using memtest.

CAS Latency (tCL): 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Row Precharge (tRP): 4

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings to defaults.

Okay. I went into my bios and set my voltage to 2.75. I need my computer today to study for exams and write papers, but I will run a test on one stick tonight than the other while I'm at class.

My computer continues to freeze. I set more virtual memory after reading a thread on here, 1.5 times my max for the min and 3 times my max for the max.

My max memory being 2048mb of RAM. Than I set my voltage to 2.80v and it was running fine and that was at about 12am. Than it froze around 3am, which I saw when I woke up.

I'm not sure what my part numbers are but here we go:

Stick 1 - (VS1GB400C3) 780-0524072-0-780681

Stick 2 - (VS1GB400C3) 780-0524072-0-780682

I bought these 2 sticks from newegg.com. I have my receipt incase the parts are faulty. I can send in a copy of this if needed.

I am printing up those settings and I will get on that soon. I am just wondering if it is likely my memory? I already downloaded the newest version of MemTest from memtest.org. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I just finished one test. About 6 passes on it and no errors. I will run the memtest on the 2nd stick tonight while I'm sleeping.

Here is a screen shot and I used the settings you gave me.

This is stick 1: Ending in -780682

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/tsak021/stick1.jpg

I have been running my computer off the 1 stick for a few hours now. I have had atleast 3 freezes and my screen turns gray or was a streaked color and would flicker and I would have to turn it off. I have now switched to the other memory stick. I hope that I can get this problem solved. It is causing a great deal fo stress in my life to see all this money on my computer just go down the drain.

By the way. Could this also be caused because I did not by these as a dual channel kit, but merely as 2 seperate RAM sticks?

• Corsair Employees
What you have posted might suggest some other problem, but please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

This will be my fourth attempt to reply, heh. I have no received 5 freezings and 3 Machine_Check_Exeptions. This stick of RAM seems to be giving me the most problems. However Memtest did not give me any errors

I tested it from Wired's suggestions

"Best suggestion: set memory timings like so, and then test one stick at a time using memtest.

CAS Latency (tCL): 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Row Precharge (tRP): 4

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings to defaults."

I've been shoved around from tech support to tech support. I'm just trying to get some answers but all I kep getting is suggestions. So I guess I can ask for the same from you. Does my problems seem to be memory related or what?

I am going to try and make it to the computer store this weekend and buy the cheapest RAM and cheapest video card just to try in my computer to see what results I get.

If my RAM does seem to be the issue, can I get them replaced? I would rather have your opinion on whether or not I should, so that I'm not blinding sending around parts and them not even being faulty.

• Corsair Employees
I have no problem replacing your modules, but the problem you post is not clear to say that it’s your memory or some other issue. All we can do is make suggestions! I am not sure what you are expecting. Getting this type of error can be caused by a driver issue and or Bios or some device using the same hardware IRQ as another device that does not share well. You can search for the error code or message at http://www.microsoft.com/technet and see if they have any suggestions to try and isolate the error. If you want to try replacing your modules please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Okay, thank you very much. I was given some programs to run to try and test out my system. I have been told it can be anything from my cd-rom drives, to my memory...

Since I've had a replacement cpu, mobo, and now a tested out video card.. I am hopefully ruling them out. I however feel it might be a cd-rom issue or memory. I am going to buy some cheap memory and test it, and if it runs smoothly, i'll send in the mods and have them replaced. But it appears I got a lot fo work to do :(

Any suggestions would be helpful. I am hoping to have this working by christmas :(

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

No clue?

Current problems now are black outs on the screen, freezing, and machine_check_exceptions. I have had atleast 10+ from last night to this morning. However my memsticks passed the memtest.org tester.

I'm at a total lose of what could be the problem. I guess my last option si to just swap parts in my computer to find out what the true defective part is. If i find out it is my memory. Am I able to send both sticks back instead of sending a good stick in by mistake?

Any suggestions would be greatful. This is a load od stress that is not needed at this time :(

• Corsair Employees

The PSU you have listed might not be big enough, but it should work with the config you gave. In addition, I really need more details from you to be able to help you isolate the problem.

1. Did you test the modules one at a time?

2. And if you did test them one up, did you get the same problems/symptoms with either module?

3. Can you test the modules in another system?

4. What Bios version do you have installed on your MB?

To sumize: It would be hard to get 2 failing modules, so if you get the same type of problem with either module that would suggest the problem is some where else.

Archived