Corsair Community

Bad TWINX1024 3200XL

Hurin

Howdy,

Modules: 2 x CMX512-3200XL XMS3208v1.1 (bought as TWINX pair).

These modules ran perfectly for about 18 months or even 2 years on my Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard. I've never had any problems. Just last week, I suddenly started getting random restarts and then (after disabling Windows XP auto-restart) Blue Screens of Death (BSoD).

At first, I thought it was heat related, so I added cooling to my Northbridge chip, and even re-seated my CPU heatsink. I even tried pointing a house fan into the case for diagnostic purposes. However, none of these techniques alleviated the sudden BSoDs.

Nothing substantial has changed in this system. I have tried a fresh install of Windows XP and even a ghost image of Windows from when the machine was perfectly stable. I have also tried re-seating the RAM and moving them to a different slot. I have been running these modules at the SPD setting since the problem started.

Finally, I demonstrated to my (and hopefully your) satisfaction that the RAM is the culprit: When I borrowed a set of TWINX 512MB 3200LL modules (total of 1GB like the XL), the crashes completely disappeared. I was able to loop Prime95 and 3DMark03 for ten hours with the other RAM. I can't make it beyond 90 minutes with the XL without a freeze or a blue-screen-of-death.

Memtest comes up clean and the crashes aren't instantly replicable. Sometimes, the system takes only a few minutes to crash with the XL sticks installed. Sometimes, it takes an hour or even two. But the fact that the computer was able to use these modules before for over a year (almost two?), and then these problems manifested themselves for apparently no reason, and the other set of RAM remedies the problem, all fo this leads me to conclude that the XL RAM has developed a problem.

I'd like to return this RAM for replacement under warranty service.

Thanks!

Brian

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have (Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3"), and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have (Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3"), and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hi Ramguy,

These modules are rated at 2-2-2-5 (rather than 2-3-2-6). They are XL modules and I bought them for their low latency capabilities. Though, I did try upping the voltage (to 2.7v). The crashes still resulted.

As I said above, I am unable to to get memtest to demonstrate the error over about an hour of testing, and I am unable to isolate the module that is faulty. Because it takes anywhere between two and six hours for the system to crash, it is difficult to narrow it down any further without dedicating an inordinate amount of time an dedicating this computer to it completely. To be honest, while I understand that this is not your fault (or even Corsair's), I already spent all of last week trying to isolate the cause of these crashes and finally ruled everything out but the RAM, and then demonstrated that replacing the RAM solved the problem. While I don't want to sound uncooperative, I think I've demonstrated that something has failed (or is failing) in one of these modules) and I can't really dedicate any more of my time or the computer's time to further isolating the specifics.

I do believe, however, that the following facts demonstrate the modules are at fault:

1. These modules were working perfectly for the last 18 months until BSODs began last week.

2. Nothing has changed in the computer.

3. Replacing these XL modules with known good LL modules fixes the crashing problem. I ran the LL modules crash-free for 15 hours while looping Prime95 and 3Dmark03 on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I have since re-installed the OS and have been using the computer normally through today with no problems.

May I return these modules for another matched pair?

Thanks,

Brian

Now that I think about it, when the crashing problem first started, before I started troubleshooting, I was running these modules at 2-3-3-6 so that I could have the GAT capabilities of my ABIT IC7-MAX3 enabled with full stability. So, it seems that I already fulfilled your request without realizing it as the modules were running at looser timings when the problem first manifested itself. :D:

Thanks!

Brian

Eureka!

Okay, I just remembered that I could use my Digital Video Recorder computer as a testbed to finally isolate which module is bad via memtest. It is a similar motherboard (Abit IS7) but this system has the added benefit of running quite a bit hotter than the other system. . . and I think heat makes a difference for this faulty module. During the day, it would cause crashes much more quickly than at night when it was cooler in the room. Because this other computer is a media box and digital video recorder, it's in a less-well ventilated (quieter) case, and the hotter environment seemed to bring the problem to a head, errors showed up almost immediately on one module while the other module remains clear.

I tested each module seperately in the same RAM slot. One module showed errors on the 2nd pass and every pass thereafter during tests 4 and 5. The other module was comletely clear through five passes.

However, since I bought these as a TWINX set, I'd like to return both and receive a matched TWINX set in return.

I trust that this is the proof positive we needed for my RMA request to be accepted. So, I'm going to go ahead and submit the RMA request form now per your instructions above.

Thanks!

Brian

Archived