Corsair Community

RMA Request

Big Wally

I have been having BSOD's/reboots usually during heavy memory usage (i.e.gaming). This has gotten progressively worse over time. Since I have had to RMA one of the sticks in my TWINX1024 pack before, I smartly ram Memtest on each of the modules. No errors. I then proceeded to change hard drives from SATA to IDE to rule out a driver issue. Still random reboots. Updated the BIOS. No luck. Then bought a new power supply. Still the random reboots. Then I bought a new motherboard thinking the MB had a bad solder somewhere. Still the random reboots. So back to the memory. I then removed both sticks from DIMM2 and DIMM3 and put in a 512mb stick ( a Generic one that I had bought during the last RMA to keep my PC functional) into DIMM1. Worked fine and could run 3dMark03 all the way thru several times. Removed that, then inserted 1 of the TWINX pack and all was successfull as well. Put the third in DIMM1 and failed the 3dMark test. Rebooted, but decided to try again to remove the chance of an odd driver issue. Failed again. Since I thought I had a bad memory module at this point I reran Memtest again and it still showed successfull. I then looked at the options and changed it to STD BIOS --> All (at least from my recollection). Now it shows that it is failing. I can post the errors of Memtest as needed. Here is the memory I have:

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Model #: TWINX1024-3200C2PT

Here are my system specs:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 9/16/2005, 22:08:17

Machine name: BIG-BLUE

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

System Model: A7N8X-E

BIOS: Ver 1.65

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM (512 Corsair & 512 Generic)

Page File: 252MB used, 2208MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Thanks Big Wally

p.s. I am concerned that this is the second time I have had to RMA a stick of 'premium memory'?

• Corsair Employees

Please use the ASUS Bios 1.013 or newer and then, please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I have had 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done to solve problems with aggressive memory, no matters who's I tested. In addition, a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well. I would take a look at http://www.asusforums.org as well in the AMD section.

• Corsair Employees

Please look at the setting in your bios not what's in the manual!

The Bios setting will be 100, 133, 166 and 200 MHz for your CPU. Please just try what I have posted and see if that solves the problem if so great if not please test the modules one at a time. And yes you would have to set the CPU Freq to 200 MHz no matter what you have the CPU_FSB set to. Just please ignore the manual for the time being.

The AMD XP CPU's are double data rate to the CPU Freq at 200 Mhx would make them a 400 FSB IE 200 Mhz X 2 = 400 FSB!

I have tried the settings suggested and the machine is unusable with either or both sticks in DIMM2 and DIMM3. I ran memtest on each stick for extended time. The suspected memory module reported 2 errors after several hours of testing. The other tested fine after 16 hours.

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employees

I am sorry to hear that, please contact our Customer Service Department Toll Free at: 888-222-4346 and press "0" to be transferred directly.

Let them know this is your second RMA and that you have spoken to the Ram Guy and we will cover shipping both ways for you.

Let us know how it goes!

Archived