Corsair Community

Bad ram chip (PC2100 SODIMM 266MHz)

Dann0

I bought 2 512 chips, when I first installed them everything worked great. Next reboot my computer was running very slowly. I checked and my comptuer properties were only showing 16MB of ram. I rebooted and the memory check failed and the bios set the ram level to 16mb. I swapped the slots each chip was plugged into, worked fine, 1 gig of RAM. Rebooted and all of a sudden I'm down to 600mb of ram with the same memory check error.

If the computer boots with the full 1 gig of ram, it often times BSODs within 2 or 3 minutes, if it boots up with the 600 meg I can work away fine for days upon days.

Its a dell inspiron 1100 with the latest bios update from dell.

Like to know what my next steps are, I can post the full memory error if it is needed, it basically says it failed and gives what I assume is the memory address.

• Corsair Employee
Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem.

Archived