Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200XL won't do dual channel in a GA-K8NXP-9

TroyR

I have a new system with a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard and TWINX1024-3200XL memory. It worked for about a week, and then started giving the DRAM beep error code on boot (and failing to turn on the monitor, although strangely it gives the "successful boot" beep in between the first and second DRAM error beeps). The system works with either stick installed on its own, or with both sticks installed on the same channel, but gives the error if the sticks are installed on different channels.

I have set the DIMM voltage adjustment to +0.2V in the BIOS.

If you can or have not done so I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

OK, I did this. Both sticks passed when tested on their own. Also when I installed both sticks on the same channel, they passed, but memtest86+ identified them as 157MHz DDR315.

Then I tried installing just one stick, but putting it in a slot that is on the second channel rather than the first. This resulted in the error beeps. So unless the CPU requires the first channel to be used before the second, this would point to a problem in either the CPU or the motherboard.

I would agree, but I would also suggest checking the bios version you have and make sure it will support the CPU you have installed, if it's a newer core CPU, as that may cause this symptom.

The flashed BIOS is the latest available (F7), and the backup BIOS is not much older (F6)

Archived