Corsair Community

Would this work?

Bathazar

Im currently using a matched pair of 2GB Twinx PC3200 XMS RAM in my system, running in dual channel.

Could I add a pair of 1GB (2x512) CMX512-3200C2 in my remaining two DIMM slots, having them run in dual channel?

Would this be compatible, and effectively give me 3GB's?

thanks

It will, Your motherboard does support up to 4GB ram BUT be warned : When you put those C2's in there your BIOS will loosen your memory timings. So in other words, you will lose precious memory bandwidth at the expense of a little more memory...

So in other words I wont be getting any performance increase?

Correct. Additionally, besides the looser timings, the memory controller on the cpu may have problems running the ram at rated speeds due to mismatched ic's on the two Twinx sets of ram (different sizes and revision numbers) forcing a reduction in speed to 333mhz or even 266mhz or they may not run together at all.

... I think they'd run just fine at DDR400 with relaxed latencies and a little more voltage... losing you bandwidth, for sure and possibly running at a 2T command rate which is a huge loss...

HOWEVER, I don't see a need for 3GB's of RAM in the first place...

PLUR

CK

... I think they'd run just fine at DDR400 with relaxed latencies and a little more voltage... losing you bandwidth, for sure and possibly running at a 2T command rate which is a huge loss...

HOWEVER, I don't see a need for 3GB's of RAM in the first place...

PLUR

CK

Well, I just had the extra RAM lying around so I didnt think it would hurt to ask...

Archived