Corsair Community

Problems!

leekirlew

I've just acquired 2 512mb modules of Corsair XMS Pro PC4000 to put in my system. As soon as I did I put FSB back up to 220 as it was with my cheap memory and set the memory divider at DDR400. The system would not boot. I dropped the memory speed to 210 and it is fine. My timings are 3-4-4-8-2T. I would expect memory rated at 250mhz at timings of 3-4-4-8 to hit these with no problems. I was previously able to push my cpu fsb to around 228 before it became unstable, so why am I getting these problems now?

Specs:

Abit KV8 Pro

Athlon 64 3200+

Corsair PC4000 XMS Pro

Leadtek 6600GT

Nexus NX-3500 (350watt)

Any help appreciated

1) These modules should be run with at least 2.7 volts, but don't exceed 2.9 volts.

2) Your PSU is dangerously low for you setup, how much memory/how many modules did you used to have?

3) Are you mixing memory or just replacing?

4) Have you run Memtest86+?

PLUR

CK

I ran memtest and everything seemed fine. How long should I leave it running?

The memory was bought as a dual channel kit so I'll have memory for a 939 socket.

I've already bumped the vdimm up to 2.8v.

I used to run 2 x 512mb sticks, but one was samsung and the other was elixar.

Thanks, anymore suggestions? Would you suggest the psu is to blame? I've got a 6800GT coming tomorrow

Did you happen to reset your CMOS? You should, if you didn't, then go into BIOS, set DEFAULTS, then set your customs.

I wouldn't blame the PSU yet, since you ran with 2 x 512 before, but it is very low for your setup. nVidia reccommends you have a ~450 Watt PSU for the 6800GT's.

PLUR

CK

Did you happen to reset your CMOS? You should, if you didn't, then go into BIOS, set DEFAULTS, then set your customs.

I wouldn't blame the PSU yet, since you ran with 2 x 512 before, but it is very low for your setup. nVidia reccommends you have a ~450 Watt PSU for the 6800GT's.

PLUR

CK

Yeah I had to clear the cmos when I first tried the memory cause it wouldn't post, so when the system rebooted I tried the default settings which worked. But as soon as I tried to push the fsb, problems again, this is a strange one!

Please test the modules ONE AT A TIME with Memtest86+ to see if one is failing.

PLUR

CK

Tried both modules and they passed. Could the problem be related to my onboard sata controller? My board has pci/agp locks but does this actually lock the onboard controller? I've just uprated my psu to a 450w and I'm still getting the problems, although I've managed to push the fsb to 217 now.

I would suggest testing the modules one at a time and lets make sure one is not failing. If both pass one up them I would try them in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and see if that helps.

Ok will do, my board has only 2 dimm slots. How long should I leave the memtest running for?

• Corsair Employees

I doubt this MB will over much past 220-225 Mhz at least thats what we found when we tested it. But I think the CPU core will have an effect on how high you can over clock. To be sure you dont have a failing module I would test them one at a time with these settings using http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 Mhz

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

I doubt this MB will over much past 220-225 Mhz at least thats what we found when we tested it. But I think the CPU core will have an effect on how high you can over clock. To be sure you dont have a failing module I would test them one at a time with these settings using http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 Mhz

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Ok, I used those settings and the memory passed 2 cycles. I tried again at 220 but same failure. My old memory used to run fine on a divider, but the fsb was 225 and stable.

Running 1-1 with the memory you may not be able to reach as high of a CPU Freq. that is normal. You might try the same settings you had set with your old memory.

that defies the whole point of me buying this memory, it's supposed to give me the headroom for 1:1 overclocking. I've read a few articles and reviews on my processor and mobo and they've managed to push fsb upto 265mhz, albeit at a lower multiplier.

Thanks

When the multiplier of the CPU is lowered, they're making sure the limits of the CPU doesn't limit the OCing of the memory, and vice versa. Bump the LDT (HTT / whatever) down to 4X from the 5X it's probably @ and see if that helps at all. Could be hitting the infamous 1000 / 1100 wall as well.

• Corsair Employees
We can try replacing your modules if you like, but what you have posted so far might suggest the syetem is holding you back. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I've been playing with my settings again and I think it may be the memory controller that's holding me back. I've found that:

a) The memory seems most stable at 2.5v, a little weird!

b) I can run the memory at 215fsb at 2.5-3-3-5-1T stabily with no memtest faults.

c) If I run the fsb at 216 at 3-4-4-8-1T I get massive errors from 40% til about 42% in memtest.

Ive noticed quite few posts regarding abit boards and xms pc4000 pro memory, you don't think there could be a possible compatibility issue here do you?

Thanks

Archived