Corsair Community

Best RAM for my system ?

TBW

I'm looking for the best, most economical RAM for my system. I recently upgraded my CPU and I think my Corsair DDR333 has now become the bottleneck. As you can see from my sig, I do overclock, and am really looking for help selecting my new RAM. I was looking at TwinX1024-3200LLPRO, but was wondering if I would get the best results using TwinX1024-4000PRO. Would it be worth the extra $$ in my system ? Would something else work "almost" as well that's a little more economical ? I would appreciate any recommendations !

• Corsair Employees
Probably you would be fine with these modules, But the 2.8C I have will not run much over 230Mhz so XMS4000 may be more than you need. However we do not make XMS3700 in a pro version, so I would suggest XMS4000Pro if you want the LEDs and since you wont be running them at DDR500 you may be able to hit 230Mhz at Cass 2.5-4-3-7 at 2.7 Volts.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been checking RAM prices and was wondering if even if it's not specified as the RAM of choice for my mobo, any of the following Corsair plats would work, and what would be the downside of installing any of these: CMX512-3500C2 2-512's CMX512-3200C2PRO 2-512's CMX512-4000PRO XMS4000 2-512's I guess what I really asking is will the XMS or the CMX (not the recommended TWINX) work with my Asus P4P800, and what is the downside ? Thanks for your help !

I'm using two sticks of XMS3500 that aren't matched (in fact they even have different textured heatspreaders on as 1 was made in 2003 and the other 2002) on a P4P board and it's running dual channel fine. But a work of advice - 2.8C paired with PC3500 isn't really the best combo. It'll either run 1:1 with RAM limiting your overclock, or in 5:4 mode with RAM speed not optimised. Ramguy's right re: 2.8Cs generally maxing out 230-ish FSB, with a 5:4 ratio, the memory will only be at 184Mhz if CPU's 230Mhz (you could even try your old DDR333 modules to see if they work at this frequency).

Archived