Corsair Community

Failing TWINX512-3200LLPT

powaking

PC lately just won't boot. At least not all the time. WHen it does boot its because I first boot my machine into a BartPE cd I made. Once done boot I reboot and my machine is able to boot into windows. BUt should I turn it off then I'm not able to boot again.

Today I had to follow this process only to get a BSOD. Ok so I whipped out MemTest86+ 1.60 and sure enough I got a boat load of errors. I haven't gone as far as testing each module as I have a Dual Channel setup. I have not tweaked my system since getting these modules 2 years ago. Everything is set to normal.

Where do I go from here????? HELP PLEASE! :o:

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200LL Cass 2-3-2-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200LL Cass 2-3-2-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Here's what I found in my testing:

Sticks in Slot 1 and 3 (for dual channel) results in errors

Swapped sticks around: same results

Stick in slot 1: no errors

Same stick in slot 3: no errors

other stick in slot 1: no errors

in slot 3: no errors

sticks in slot 1 and 2: no errors

Seems to me either the memory chips are failing when in dual channel or the motherboard fails when in dual channel mode.

The motherboard is an Epox 8RDA3+

I also noticed on my memory stick the sticker reads 2226-T1. Does this mean the sticks should be set to those timings? I originally had my timings at 2236 but changing them to 2226 did not change anything.

• Corsair Employees

Also if you are running the CPU Freq at 166 MHz or higher the memory frequency would need to be set to match the CPU frequency. or at DDR333.

Can you tell me the exact bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

System Performance - Expert

CPU Clock Ratio - 11.0

FSB Frequency - 200mhz

CPU interface - Optimal

Memory Frequency - By SPD

Memory Timings - Expert

T(RAS) - 6

T(RCD) - 2

T(RP) - 2

CAS Latency - 2.0

Memory Auto Precharge - Enabled

I have a mobile Athlon XP-M 2600+. I have run it faster than what I have it running before but have been running it as configured now for quite some time.

If there is any other BIOS setting you need let me know.

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings.

System Performance - User Define

CPU Clock Ratio - 11.0

FSB Frequency - 200mhz

CPU interface - Optimal

DDR Voltage: 2.7 Volts

Memory Frequency - 100%

Memory Timings - Manual

T(RAS) - 6

T(RCD) - 3

T(RP) - 2

CAS Latency - 2.0

Memory Auto Precharge - Bios Default/Auto

Please try these settings.

System Performance - User Define

CPU Clock Ratio - 11.0

FSB Frequency - 200mhz

CPU interface - Optimal

DDR Voltage: 2.7 Volts

Memory Frequency - 100%

Memory Timings - Manual

T(RAS) - 6

T(RCD) - 3

T(RP) - 2

CAS Latency - 2.0

Memory Auto Precharge - Bios Default/Auto

I'm not able to change the DDR voltage (motherboard doesn't support that). I did have T(RCD) set to 3 prior and changed it to 2 but that did not change my testing results. I'll set the memory frequency to 100% instead of By Spd and see what results I get.

Whats weird is my MB states to use dual channel I have to use slots 1 and 3. Yet I haev the chips in slots 1 and 2 working fine and the Mobo states it using dual channel. Not really sure if its the mobo or chips. I'll have to haev my brother test out the chips in his system. But I will run another run of tests.

• Corsair Employees

What test are you getting errors on? And that MB should have the option to set the Dim Voltage, look under advanced chipset and you may have to scroll down and or under frequency and voltage control DDR, Dim or SDRAM Voltage.

And I would try and lower your multiplier to 9 or 10 and see if the errors change if so that might suggest the CPU you have will just not over clock to these settings.

What test are you getting errors on? And that MB should have the option to set the Dim Voltage, look under advanced chipset and you may have to scroll down and or under frequency and voltage control DDR, Dim or SDRAM Voltage.

And I would try and lower your multiplier to 9 or 10 and see if the errors change if so that might suggest the CPU you have will just not over clock to these settings.

I'm getting the errors at the end of Test 5 with MemTest86+ 1.60. I have DIMM set to Auto. I can try and set that one. Sorry it isn't displayed as DDR thats why it threw me off :sigh!: I'll also clock it down too. The chip should be running at 2ghz. Its now running at 2.2 and I had it once running at 2.35. I'll let you know what results (if any) I get.

Please do let me know, and errors in test 5 would normally suggest something other than the memory.

Set my multiplier to 10 and set the DIMM voltage to 2.63 and tried 2.77 (can't set it to 2.70 not an option)

In Slot 1 and 3 memtest doesn't even come up to test. Immediately just locks up. Reset button doesn't reset I have to shut it down.

Put multiplier back to 11. Put DIMM back to Auto.

In Slot 1 and 3 getting over a hundred errors in test #3 then it locks up.

Put in Slot 1 and 2.

Not getting errors now like before. Not sure what it really is. Memory controller or chips? hard to say.

• Corsair Employees
If changing the multiplier locks the system, that might suggest your CPU is not un-locked. And if not I really doubt it will run at 200 MHz. But if you just want to try replacing the modules please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived