Corsair Community

Bad RAM?

dark_templer_10

Well i'm no genius, but after i installed "Twinx1024-3200XLPT" onto my DFI LanParty Pro 875B rev. B, it would randomly crash, i mean totally random.

I would play BattleField2 and it would just make a loud screetching noise and crash...Encoding DVD and PLaying Age of Emipres 3 Demo, after 2 hours of making a army, it crashes (and pissing me off)

I recently ran memtest 86+ and it passed once (is that good enough? it took 45 mins to run to 100%)

I noticed the there was a Bios update for Corsair memory failures or something, and i flashed my bios but it didn't help

I am running The obvious memory and motherboard

Maxtor 60 Gig and Segate 300 Gig HDs

P4 3.2Ghz

9800 Pro

Audicy 2

Some DVD burner and floppy

(my s/n was ment to be dark_templer_102)

With some chipsets yes but with others they may use bank interleave and if so it would hard to tell if its a specific module. Its best to test them one up.

Side Note: i realized this when i asked my uncle about this problem. when i start up, it will have 4 short beeps and shut down, he told me it is a RAM problem. Truthfully i said nothing much earlier because I would start it up again and it will be fine.

Should i just returned it now? (well RMA it)

• Corsair Employees

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

If the system is shutting off that might suggest a power problem, can you test them in another system?

Well i have no idea went wrong with that but i finally got time to use MEM test on Each stick.

The first stick had 4 errors on 8 tests, and other had zero errors. I can post a picture of what mem test said (sorta blurry from my camera not focusing well) if you want to.

So...should i RMA the first one?

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200Xl

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived