Corsair Community

Random Computer Restarts/Memory Failure

Natorius

Over the last month or two my computer has been randomly restarting while playing a game, chaulking it up to a game bug I didn't worry about it too much. However yesterday night the computer did it's regular restart thing but right after it got to the windows loading screen a blue screen would flash up and before I could read what it said it restarted again.

I took the time to blow dust out guessing that it was a cooling issue but that didn't end up working. A friend of mine suggested running the computer with each stick of memory separately and see if either one works. I took out one stick, turned on the computer and now it runs fine. Just wanted to see if it's covered by the warranty, also checking to see whether or not just one stick of dual channeled ram will run fine on its own until I have the time to go out and buy more ram/get replacement ram.

What CPU / FSB / Motherboard do you have?

What is the exact part # and revision # of each stick? Is it a TwinX pack?

The CPU is an AMD 64 3500+ 2.2ghz, 2000 FSB I believe, Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard.

VS32m8-5 PS1300452 As far as I remember it was PC3200 ram, 2 512 mb sticks, dual channeled, and I think unbuffered, it's been a long time. I got them from Newegg months ago.

I've tried each stick in each slot, and both sticks in the other two slots, the only time the computer boots up after the Windows loading screen is if I use the stick that worked, the other one I'm guessing is completely gone.

Uh oh...

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/warranty.html

WHAT PARTS ARE NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY?

The following parts are not covered by this warranty:

• Modules that are missing the label containing Corsair’s part number
  • Modules that are purchased from other end users
  • Modules that Corsair determines were not manufactured by Corsair, i.e., counterfeit Corsair modules

Live and learn I guess, now I guess I have a different question. The motherboard has 2 pairs of slots, if I was to buy a set of low latency, dual channeled ram to put in one pair of slots, could I still use the other 512 mb stick, even though it's just value select ram, in one slot of the other pair?

Last time I peel stickers off ram. :P

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but I would need to know the module part# for sure, but you should never mix memory, and I would not suggest running 4 modules with any MB for best performance. It would be better to replace what you have now with Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules for best performance

Archived