Corsair Community

Hydrocool Pump Problem

Mike Boehk

A friend of mine bought a HydroCool 200ex a few months ago, but got busy and never actually hooked it up. I tried it out this weekend and we were surprised to find that it wouldn't pump coolant. I turned off the unit quickly and tried again, same issue.

I used some simple diagnostics and believe the Pump is bad. Here is why: Cables are all tight and connected, unit powers and displays temp, fan runs, light on flow indicator is bright. A few seconds later, the light turns dim and the fan seems to really slow down. Afraid it was pulling too much current I shut it off again and hooked it up to a spare case I have sitting around so the powersupply would be dedicated to running it.

Same issue again and I touched the larger capacitor on the board inside the computer and it was quite hot, so I turned it off again after everything started dimming (about 15 seconds or so).

Long Story Shorter - I took the dust screen off and you can reach the pump connector there. I disconnected the pump and turned the unit back on. The fans were noticably faster, light on flow meter much brighter and the system stayed bright and fast for a full minute - capacitor also did not get hot.

Can someone help me confirm if it is indeed a bad pump? If so, how would I go about getting a replacement? My friend is looking for the original receipt, but is afraid it may be lost.

After reading all the great reviews, I'd hate to let this wonderful unused unit continue to sit in a closet if I can help it.

Thanks for any assistance!

The price is alarming. $140(USD) from a local Mercedes dealer parts-n-service counter. P/N A2118350264 - with rubber isolator.

in canada

The price is $203.60+tax=$234.14

Mike looks like to me pump is dead an to replace will cost as much complete kit, best look at a Swiftech MCP350 12v Pump to replace the bosch

$100can

$73usd

just have to change your inlet hose barb on the tank to pump fitting

to make sure the pump isn't DOA check if impeller turns freely via inlet hole use a small screw drive to turn it

With the intake filter and screen removed, I rapidly tapped the motor while starting the device. Within a couple seconds the pump started and slowly got up to speed - took maybe 1-2 seconds.

Since then I've started the device 8-10 times, with no issues. It starts right away and only draws 1.1 amps pretty consistantly.

Does anyone know if this was just an initial start issue or can I expect the pump to fail again in the near future. Again, it had never been used or broken in before and was in storage for about a year.

With the intake filter and screen removed, I rapidly tapped the motor while starting the device. Within a couple seconds the pump started and slowly got up to speed - took maybe 1-2 seconds.

Since then I've started the device 8-10 times, with no issues. It starts right away and only draws 1.1 amps pretty consistantly.

Does anyone know if this was just an initial start issue or can I expect the pump to fail again in the near future. Again, it had never been used or broken in before and was in storage for about a year.

hmmm maybe that the grease was stiff, i would use it with them spec's an not worry.

Mike,

Don't toss out that pump yet! You did mention that the PCB had some hot components on it. The PCB and voltage regulator could be bad instead.

Is it possible to just run the pump on it's own via a PSU? This will determine if the Bosch pump is bad or the control board in the HC unit. Only hook up the pump to run.

Another question to ask, is the off-the-bench PSU rated for 400W or better for testing this out?

Still look around for that proof-of-purchase. ;)

All the hot components became cool once the pump started rotating. My guess is that the pump was a near direct short when it wasn't spinning and drawing tremendous amounts of current >5A??

Now everything is fine, the unit has been started over 20 times, no issues, no hesitation. It's run overnight twice, no issues, no hot components, everything keeps cool and even.

I'm pretty confident in installing this system now. I'll keep a watch on the flow meter and will have MBM set up to shut down if the system goes up to 50C, which is where it runs now with air cooling. This should protect everything.

Mike,

So how did you get the pump rotating or spinning?

Stev

I simply took the off the side wire cover and air filter screen then tapped the pump body with a screw driver handle while I turned the pump on. Within a couple seconds it started spinning.

BTW - It's been on my computer and working flawlessly for over a week now.

I simply took the off the side wire cover and air filter screen then tapped the pump body with a screw driver handle while I turned the pump on. Within a couple seconds it started spinning.

BTW - It's been on my computer and working flawlessly for over a week now.

Mike,

Glad that the method worked. It's strange, but happy that the pump is running. We have not yet experienced a stalled BOSCH pump that needed the screwdriver tap. Only the early DDC types with the older IC chip.

I'll make a note of this.

Thanks!

Stev

Archived