Corsair Community

Possible bad 512mb ddr400 sticks

acdbrn81311

I hacve two (2) Corsair Value Select 512MB 3200 DDR400 memory sticks, and when I connect them in the DDR formation in my motherboard, I receive the memory beep codes. The sticks work fine in the non-DDR formations at both 166MHz and 200MHz settings, but I would like to run them at the DDR speed, either 333MHz or 400MHz. My motherboard does support DDR, because before the Corsairs, I was successfully running two 256MB DDR sticks, I forget which brand, in the DDR formation at 333MHz.

You're confusing DDR w/ Dual Channel.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

The 333 and 400 you're thinking of is the effective data rate, whereas the 166 and 200 is the actual speed of the memory. THAT IS NORMAL.

PC3200 = DDR400 = 200 Mhz

PC2700 = DDR333 = 166 Mhz

Either way, the AthlonXP 2500+ has a FSB of 333 Mhz, so your memory needs to run @ 166 Mhz.

While it's possible to run the memory asynchronous from the FSB (in otherwords, to run the FSB @ 333 Mhz and the memory @ 200 Mhz), it is NOT RECOMMENDED, as that will cause instability 98% of the time.

As for how to run the memory in dual-channel mode on your motherboard:

For 2 sticks, it's slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 3

Archived