Corsair Community

CMX512-3200 wont run at 400

i9

Hi. I recently bought a used gig of Corsair cmx. Unfortunatly one stick was 3200 and the other was 3200C2.

This wouldnt be a problem, except that the 3200's SPD claims that it is actually pc2700. From reading on these forums, Ive seen that some sticks had the 2700 SPD chip put in them. Again this wouldnt be aproblem, except that my mobo cannot override the SPD. So for me to get to 400fsb I have to overclock my proc 40 fsb. Which I am willing to do, but I want my memory to be running at the proper 3200 speeds.

Is this something I can RMA the stick and have changed?

So you know, I have tried all of the BIOS settings in trying to get it to run at 400 as the base. For example, I currently have my CPU fsb set at 210. But my memory is running at 348. This is with the memory set to manual and 400 in BIOS.

thx in advance for your help.

i9']k. Thank You

Sorry to bother you guys. The guy I bought the RAM from is trying to troll me on it. Refuses even to RMA it for me. Told me just to lie to you and get it RMA'd. I cant use this RAM since it is, in my mind defective. The wrong SPD chip was put on it.

Is there no way that I can at least have the SPD chip replaced so it will work the way it was intended? Im not looking to get new RAM out of the deal, just RAM that works right.

thx for your answer.

The SPD chip can't be replaced.

How To Read the Memory Label

Check your version #. I'm guessing it's a v1.x. If so, that means it's normal for it to have a 2700 SPD chip. Doesn't make it defective either way.

Also, your mobo CAN override the SPD.

BIOS -> Advanced -> Chipset.

I wish it could but it wont. I currently have it set to 'manual' and '400', but it still runs at 333. Which means that to get it to the 400 I paid for, I have to o/c my proc 30 some fsb.

If you can tell me how to get around this, Id be very grateful.

Oh and ya its version1.1

With JUST that one stick, and setting it manually to 400, it runs @ 333? How are you checking that it's actually running @ 333 Mhz? Also have you tried different slots?

Ya Ive tried different slots, and I only have this one stick of CMX512-3200. The other is the C2 model.

Here is an Everest report on the RAM:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.01.347

Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/

Report Type Quick Report

Computer HIDEAWAY (Me Myself and I)

Generator me

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)

Date 2005-09-11

Time 01:29

--------[ SPD ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ DIMM2: Corsair CMX512-3200 ]

Memory Module Properties:

Module Name Corsair CMX512-3200

Serial Number None

Module Size 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)

Module Type Unbuffered

Memory Type DDR SDRAM

Memory Speed PC2700 (166 MHz)

Module Width 64 bit

Module Voltage SSTL 2.5

Error Detection Method None

Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:

@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

@ 166 MHz 2.0-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:

Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported

Auto-Precharge Not Supported

Precharge All Not Supported

Write1/Read Burst Not Supported

Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported

Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported

On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported

Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported

Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported

Differential Clock Input Supported

Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer:

Company Name Corsair Memory, Inc.

Product Information http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products.html

and heres the one for the chipset. I have my proc @ 210 right now

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.01.347

Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/

Report Type Quick Report

Computer HIDEAWAY (Me Myself and I)

Generator me

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)

Date 2005-09-11

Time 01:31

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:

Motherboard ID 63-0905-000001-00101111-051805-ATHLON64$A0055003_BIOS DATE: 05/18/05 18:16:55 VER: 08.

Motherboard Name Asus K8N-E Deluxe

Front Side Bus Properties:

Bus Type AMD Hammer

Real Clock 210 MHz

Effective Clock 210 MHz

HyperTransport Clock 630 MHz

Memory Bus Properties:

Bus Type DDR SDRAM

Bus Width 64-bit

Real Clock 172 MHz (DDR)

Effective Clock 344 MHz

Bandwidth 2749 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:

CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 754

Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP

RAM Slots 3 DDR DIMM

Integrated Devices Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394

Form Factor ATX

Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm

Motherboard Chipset nForce3-250Gb

Extra Features Asus Intelligence, JumperFree, Stepless Freq Selection, SATA, RAID

Motherboard Manufacturer:

Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Product Information http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3

BIOS Download http://www.asus.com/support/download/download.aspx

CPU-Z shows memory frequency @ 172

i9']Ya Ive tried different slots' date=' and I only have this one stick of CMX512-3200. The other is the C2 model.[/quote']

Are you running BOTH at the same time, or just testing the 3200 stick by itself?

Something else is wrong though.

Real Clock 210 MHz

Effective Clock 210 MHz

Your HTC should be 4x your effective clock. I checked the manual, couldn't find the setting (should be something like HTT or HT bus or LDT or HT multi). What speed is your CPU running at?

Are you running BOTH at the same time, or just testing the 3200 stick by itself?

Something else is wrong though.

Real Clock 210 MHz

Effective Clock 210 MHz

Your HTC should be 4x your effective clock. I checked the manual, couldn't find the setting (should be something like HTT or HT bus or LDT or HT multi). What speed is your CPU running at?

I cuirrently have my HT set to 3. Didnt want it to be a factor in wheteher or not the RAM was booting, when I was testing it out, and never put it back.

I currently only have the one stick in, the cmx512-3200. It runs at 333 no matter what I do. Just the way the Asus BIOS works I guess. It doesnt have a RAM:FSB ratio or multiplier, just a mhz setting.

I am fairly knowledgable about o/cing and getting ratios correct, and this RAM just wont bump up. I even flashed BIOS just to on the safe side, no change.

yesssss???? :biggrin:

They'll probably be authorized for a replacement tomorrow (err... today) by Ram Guy, but keep in mind 3200's aren't recommended to run with 3200C2s.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help. Why arent they recommended to be run together?

Archived