Corsair Community

Mismatched memory

dasbuth

In the past, I owned two sticks identical in model, but different in revision which caused my computer to only recognize one stick when both were inserted. I recently got both sticks replaced via an RMA so now they are both identical in revision. One improvement was made in that my computer can now recognize both sticks of memory. However, my computer was acting extremely strange and buggy with the new RAM... a big issue was that it would frequently reboot randomly. I tried isolating the problem and eventually a blue screen from Windows popped up stating that mismatched memory was the cause of my problem. Sure enough, I took one stick out and my computer began working flawlessly. I have grown very frustrated trying to get my computer to accept two sticks of RAM. One point to mention is that the new memory that I received from the replacement is NOT a dual channel kit.. perhaps a dual channel kit will be the solution to my issues of having mismatched memory?

Current model: CMX512-3200C2 XMS3202v5.2

• Corsair Employees
In addition, can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

1. I compared the labels again and they are completely identical.

2. I cleared CMOS.

3. I ran Memtest on each stick individually and then ran it with both sticks and there were 0 errors in each of these cases.

After all of this, my comp is still acting weird and randomly restarts, sometimes with the blue screen of death, sometimes without it.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M, Rev 1.0, BIOS F8

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754

Speed: 2.0 GHz

FSB: 800 MHz

As far as settings go, I believe by default my motherboard selects a feature in BIOS called "Load Optimized Defaults". In my MB manual, it states: "Selecting this field loads the factory defaults for BIOS and Chipset Features which the system automatically detects".

Edit: I tried enabling the BIOS setting "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" and my comp still randomly restarts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am not too comfortable overclocking my RAM and I don't see why it needs to be done to make both sticks work together.

I am starting to get very frustrated with this whole issue. Would it be possible for me to send in both sticks and perhaps get a 1gb stick to eliminate all mismatched RAM issues?

Archived