Corsair Community

Mixing CMX512-3200C2 with similar TwinX

DeterH

RamGuy,

I have a pair of CMX512-3200C2 modules installed on an IC7-G motherboard with 2-3-3-6 timing at 2.7V that are woring great. Today I tried to install two additional modules but these are TwinX1024-3200C2PT. Currently, these are not working together and I tried using 2.8V. The system will allow me to get into CMOS, but when I try to boot on the MemTest CD, it stalls out and it won't boot to the OS either. Either set of modules will work when installed alone.

Is it possible that the two modules won't work together or is this a motherboard thing?

Best Regards,

Dietmar Hell

Can you tell me our modules part# and revision of all of your modules? (How To Read the Memory Label)

Thank you for the quick reply. The memory is as follows:

CMX512-3200C2: XMS3202 V1.2

CMX512-3200C2: XMS3202 V1.2

TwinX Set 1: XMS3200 V 5.1

Since the original email, I've borrowed a friends TwinX modules (TwinX Set 2: XMS3200 V5.1) and combined them with the TwinX set 1. These also didn't work with the original settings I was using for the CMX set:

CAS Lat: 2T

RAS to CAS 3T

Row Precharge 3T

Active to Precharge Delay 6T

I'm uncertain how to get to the command rate setting on my IC7-G Motherboard since there is no specific setting indicating "cmd rate" in the Bios. However, there is a Game Accelerator setting and I had that set to FI (the highest setting) with the original installation of 1GB as well as with any of the TwinX module sets.

Following the installation of the second TwinX set, I did some experimenting and found that if I set the Game Acceleration to Auto, the memory will work properly with the above timing settings. The remaining settings under Game Acceleration are: Refresh Cycle Time, Read Delay (tRD), Read Delay Adj (tRDA) and Command per clock (CPC). These are all set to "Auto" when the memory is working properly. But, any attempt to change any of the setting results in a refusal to post.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. Would I be better off with TwinX XMS 2GB (two 1GB boards)?

Best Regards,

Dietmar Hell

You will need to set the bios to setup defaults and I would set the timings to Cass 3-3-3-8 at 2.7 Volts and then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.[/quote

Ok thank you for the response. However, as noted, I've already got it working with Cass 2-3-3-6 at 2.7v. I purchased CAS2 memory to get an extra performance benefit for games. If I set it to 3, wouldn't that result in a performance hit?

Is there any difference in performance by using two TwinX modules instead of four to acheive 2 GB of memory?

Also, do you know where I would set the command rate on this particular Motherboard?

Best Regards,

Dietmar Hell

• Corsair Employees

Command Rate is an AMD platform/chipset option not Intel. So you will not have that option with this chipset.

With 4 modules you may need to run the timings to a more relaxed setting and we can only guarantee one set at the tested setting because of chipset/memory controller loading. If you want to run at DDR400 at Cass 2 1t Command rate you would need to use 2 modules only. And use a different MB/chipset. Sorry!

Archived