Corsair Community

CMX512-3200c2 revision/RMA question

HeritageBob

Hi Gang,

I have searched and read through a good bit of the posts here and came up with an answer I believe in RMA'ing and getting the same revision number to enable Dual Channel on my Motherboard.

I have a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 Rev.2 Motherboard.

I have had a stick of Corsair CMX512-3200C2 for over a year mated with another generic 512 stick of memory running in single channel mode since then on my motherboard.

I decided to recently try and get my rig running in Dual Channel and bought another stick of the same Corsair XMS from NewEgg under the same part number that I bought my first stick of a year ago. Popped the new stick in and.......Single Channel still :( .

Upon reading the boards I checked my revision numbers on the sticks and the original stick is v3.2 while the brand new stick is a v5.2 . Is there a possible way to make these work or can I RMA the two sticks and receive a workable duo for dual channel mode on my motherboard? I just had no clue that the same part number really didnt mean its the same part per se. with the revision being added on.

Thanks for the help and time in advance.

You really would need to use matching modules with this MB for best performance. But you can try and set the timings and memory frequency manually to DDR400 and set the timings to Cass 3-3-3-8 at set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Thanks for the quick reply Ram Guy.

Seems as hard as I look in the BIOS setup options I cannot find a way on this MB to set the CAS speeds manually. Might there be a program to do this outside of the BIOS setup page?

Also seems I would be being counterproductive to my wallet by buying the absolute best XMS corsair ram that runs at CAS 2 and force it into the regime of CAS 3. I could have saved cash and went with corsair value for this.

Bob

• Corsair Employees
:eek: With Giga-Byte at the main Bios screen you have to hit the CNTRL + F1 key to bring up the hidden menus. This is or should be in your user manual, if not I would contact the MB maker to help you with their bios and how to use it.

Found the advanced settings exactly as you described with CNTRL F1. I switched the settings how you stated and on system startup it still states memory runs in single channel. I created a floppy for memtest and ran it through, it shows the settings i manually created in BIOS but still says Single Channel 64 BIT.

I tried a few more different combinations of speeds/timings/voltages and still cannot get it into Dual Channel mode.

Bob

Bob check the slots you have the modules in, if they are not in the correct slots it will not run in D/C mode if this MB supports that.

I have them set up in the right ones according to the MB manual and the markings on the MB itself. There are 6 banks. banks 1, 2, 3 and banks 4, 5, 6. It says for DC to put one in slot 1 and one in slot 4, or also slot 2 and 4 could be used or slot 3 and 6. The slots are actually color coded to pair up for Dual Channel so not really room to mess up it seems. I tried many combinations regardless just to be extra sure :(

Bob

I would try them in slots 1-2 or 1-3 and see if that makes it run in D/C.

I tried every conceivable combination and no luck.

I also ran Sisoft Sandra while I was moving them to make sure it was picking them up in different locations and I noticed something strange. It shows one stick of ram as Corsair 512 16x(32Mx8) and the other stick as 512 8x(64Mx8) . It is also showing the sticks a little differently as it shows one as 256x2 and the other as 512. Both say corsair and model numbers correctly in Sandra but its showing them as an almost different type of memory chipset.

Bob

Archived