Corsair Community

Possible Compatability Problem?

danate

I have a TwinX Pair of CMX512-3200XLPRO in my system now. I purchased the "kit" in November '04. (XMS3208v1.1 Lot: 0431070-2) At the time I figured 1 GB would be enough, but now I'm thinking I'd rather have the 2 GB.

I was thinking of buying another Twinx Set of these same modules, "TWINX1024-3200XLPRO 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200" from an online retailer which I will not name.

My simple question is, would I encounter any problems picking up another set of this memory and installing it in my system? I'm just cautious about Version's and revisions of memory becuase I'm am not familar with them. I would assume I can pick up another set and it would work just fine, but I wanted to ask here first because I dont want to have to return it due to problems which could have been forseen. Thanks in advance.

Another question about 1GB vs 2GB, I play World of Warcraft and I run Windows XP, would it be worth upgrading to 2GB over my current 1 GB setup (this is an addressing issue, as in would my setup even utilize the extra 1 GB)? I have an ASUS AV8 Deluxe with an AMD FX-55 processor if that factors into anything.

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest 4 modules with this MB as you may be limited to DDR333 and you will most likely need to set the timings to a more relaxed setting. The best would be to use or replace the modules you have now with 1-Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules for best performance.

Is your CPU based on the new San Diego core?

If not, forget about adding another TWINX set.

It can be done, but they would have to be the same Version # as what you

have now v1.1.

However 4 sticks would only run at 333MHz.

Your best bet for 2GB would be the TWINX2048-3200C2's.

Ok I went with your advice, and picked up a Twinx2048-3200C2PRO. I put them in my system and everything seemed to work fine, as usual (I'm a long standing satisfied Corsair customer). The concern I have is with my Motherboard, ASUS A8V Deluxe; when I go into the BIOS, all the memory settings I have at auto (default), but I dont see a way to see the current values that the memory is using. Should I just remain confident that this memory is using the specs it is supposed to, or should I manually set them to what they should be in the BIOS? (Is there some software I can snag similar to like "RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock)" for Memory?)

I read my Motherboard's manual cover to cover, and it's pretty "skeletonized" for info on anything. So I am posting here figuring you "gurus" will have the answer :):

One last tidbit, on http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/xms.html there is not an entry for this memory. The closest listed is TWINX2048-3200PRO. There is not one listed for the C2 timings. The reason I noticed this, is because I'm not sure what timings this memory should even run at since I can not find a product data sheet.

Thanks again in advance for your answers.

Archived