Corsair Community

Need Help - Overclocking stopped working after Corsair XMS Upgrade

Intel P4 3.0c MSI NEO2 FISR2 Motherboard 01. With Corsair PC3200LLPT XMS TwinX (2-3-2-6), 256MB x 2, I could overclock my CPU Bus Freq. from 200 to 231. Stable at 3.465GHz. 02. I added two Corsair PC3200LLPT XMS (2-2-2-6) to the system, 256MB x 2, and my system crashed repeatedly during post. Kept telling me that my memory timings were too tight and the only remedy was to de-overclock the system back to 200Mhz CPU bus freq. 03. Isolated just the non-TwinX pairs and they could not OC at all (technically, the faster ones), not even by 1MHz. 04. Tried swapping out the 4x256MB sticks for a set of TwinX 512MBx2 (2-2-2-6) and they failed too. Why is it that the first two sticks of RAM I used (512MB) could OC just fine, but after going through 6 replacment sticks, I cannot reproduce the stable OC environment? Is there something else to know about Corsair RAM (and BTW, the 2-2-2-6 RAM could *not* acheive those timings)? Right now, I'm running Mushkin RAM @ 1GB until I can find 2x512MB Corsair PC3200LLPT TwinX that will do the job. Mushkin, unlike Corsair, appears to run at the advertised timings these days. What's going on, Corsair? I've only used Corsair RAM, EVER. I am very disappointed and frustrated, but I know you'll come through and help me.

From what I've seen, when running dual channel mode, you do need to lower the timings. All memory companies test them in single stick configs. The good news is you aren't really giving up any performance when running dual channel at a higher latency.

What else might be the cause that 2x256MB sticks of TwinX PC3200 LLPT would OC (231Mhz) just fine, but that 2x512MB sticks of TwinX PC3200 LLPT would crash? At this point, I am only testing in isolated pairs - I am not mixing batches of RAM. :) Any information would be appreciated. BTW - retarding the DRAM latency manually caused the system to crash at stock values. Most likely a quirk of the BIOS, but I never know what information might be useful in OC scenarios.

256Mb module is single bank. 512Mb module is double banked - with twice as many physical memory chips on each PCB. The likelihood of just 1 out of 8 chips failiing at a certain frequency speed would mean the entirely RAM module failing at that speed. When running dual channel, your problems (in terms of overclocking) is doubled. That's the problem that you're having. You're asking too much out of the silicon. Even with a single RAM module, you will find a 512Mb module will not 'clock as high as a 256Mb module. However if you were to test for bandwidth (Sandra, CTIAW, or whatever you use), the double banked module would definitely out-perform a single banked one at a given FSB.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by peanya [/i] [B] All memory companies test them in single stick configs. [/B][/QUOTE] Corsair tests the TwinX pairs as a matched pair and packages those passing sticks together at the time of testing. They started doing that for the requirements of dual channel MOBOs came out. [QUOTE]What else might be the cause that 2x256MB sticks of TwinX PC3200 LLPT would OC (231Mhz) just fine, but that 2x512MB sticks of TwinX PC3200 LLPT would crash?[/QUOTE] IF you are still running those timings you listed, 2,2,2,6 you are very lucky that the 2 X 256mb sticks will run them. The Intel 875/865 chipsets normally will not run a RAS to CAS delay of 2. It must be 3 clocks or higher. So, that may be the determining factor as to why the 2 X 512mb sticks will not run at your 231mhz. The 2 x 256mb pair must be an exceptional pair of RAM. I have only seen a few people (less than 10) since the release of the Canterwood/Sprindale MOBOs that can run those timings. If you want to use the 2 X 512mb sticks, you might try the timings at 2,3,3,6. Other than TINY differences benchmarking or with CPU-Z, you'll never be able to see the difference between 2,2,3,6 and 2,3,3,6 with the naked eye. Also, you can use up to 2.8v on the RAM, which is safe. Over 2.8v will void your warranty. Good luck, Mike. EDIT: The advertised timings on the Corsair LL RAM are 2,3,2,6. So, atleast on that 1 pair of 2 X 256mb you are exceeding the advertised spex.

Archived